Author Topic: Athens, Silver Tetradrachm  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Roety

Athens, Silver Tetradrachm
« on: February 21, 2019, 05:11:37 PM »
I bought  this coin on ebay and even after getting it am not sure if it is real or Fake.
this  Tetradrachm  is about an inch (25-26mm) diameter  and weighs 16.8gms  it has flan cracks that do seem to go through it. 
I took some photos and attached them    ,  the front OBV  looks pitted in some areas like either corrosion, age or possibly chemically cleaned .
I think its real,  paid about $300 for it  what do you think. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:35:43 PM by Roety »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Athens, Silver Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 09:34:04 AM »
This is way outside the scope of this board, but in my limited experience with these, it looks okay. As someone new to the field of ancients, if you do not trust the seller, you should exercise caution if you buy coins on eBay.

Offline Pharsalus

Re: Athens, Silver Tetradrachm
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 08:26:39 AM »
Sorry Roety, I think this one is a pressed fake. While I'm not an expert, for me the style is way off. The most obvious errors in my eyes are the owl itself, the large theta, and the crest of Athena's helmet. The reverse (owl) seems to be a match to this replica coin, made by the company Antiquanova Replica.
As Victor said, it's so important to purchase from reputable dealers when you are new. I hope the seller is willing to offer a refund.