Author Topic: Advice on Joining NGC,PNG, ANA ETC  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Roety

Advice on Joining NGC,PNG, ANA ETC
« on: November 19, 2018, 07:08:07 AM »
I recently started buying ancient coins and want to start reselling some.
I noticed sellers with NGC verified coins get more money for them, plus it seems nice to have them verified in a case.   I am looking at joining so I can submit coins directly and figured I'd ask here what is the best plan or rather process to do this. 
NGC says if I am an ANA member the NGC membership is free.
I'm thinking Gold ANA membership for $28 a year starting out.  that gives me access to (whatever)  and ability to submit coins to NGC. 
any insight or thoughts appreciated.

Offline livingwater

Re: Advice on Joining NGC,PNG, ANA ETC
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 07:57:18 PM »
Regarding slabbing,

No doubt some collectors like slabbed/graded ancient coins.  There is comfort knowing pros have looked at a coin and deemed it genuine.  There are several respected well known slabbing companies including NGC.  I would not slab inexpensive coins where the cost of slabbing is more than the worth of the coin.  I own several hundred ancient coins and only two are slabbed.  I personally don't like slabbed ancient coins because I like to hold them.  I do have some Morgan silver dollars that are slabbed.  Oil on the fingers can damage the surface of modern silver coins/bullion if touched.

Offline Roety

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice,  I did join ANA just yesterday,  after reading on NGC's website  that if you have an ANA membership NGC membership is free.   
also while joining ANA I join an ancient coin club (they had a  drop down in the registration page for clubs)  I think they want you in at least one club.
I saw a coupon where you would get a free Silver quarter for joining ANA, but I think they ran out or something so I used a 50% off coupon instead. 
Am only gonna slab the most valuable coins and best looking ones that I want to sell. 
But may use the bulk option if it saves me $$
Thanks
Happy ThanksGiving  (today)
happy Holidays,  be safe

Offline Roety

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »
Went to the FUN convention today here in Orlando,  the dealers have prices jacked way up. 
I did buy some non pvc sleeves and some boxes. 

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 09:09:58 PM »
Many, if not most, ancient collectors do not like slabbed coins. I reluctantly slabbed several silvered LRB's a few years ago and still have most of them. I also have some slabs that I have bought in groups lots. They sell slowly, part of the problem is that I have to sell a coin for more because of the price of the slab. Many collectors will break coins out of slabs...I have done so myself.