Author Topic: UnknownCoins  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Roety

UnknownCoins
« on: November 18, 2018, 12:13:54 AM »
I recently purchased these at a foreign auction. 
I was only trying to buy the Caesar coin, but accidentally bought the one before it .  (it happens, these auctions move fast)
the Marius Coin or Medal  I can not find listed on the web.   here is the auction description in German I think
C. Marius, gest. 86 v. Chr. Bleiguss-Medaille (bronziert) nach Art des Valerio Belli 28.63 g. Vs.: C MARIVS VII COS, Kopf n. l., Rs.: VICTORIA CIMBRICA, Tropaeum

The Caesar coin, they misspelled the name Julius I think  here is what the listing says. 
C. Iulius Caesar, gest. 44 v. Chr. AE-Medaille 19.97 g. Vs.: C. CAESAR DICT. PERPETVO, Kopf mit Königskranz n. r., Rs: LEVCA, Caduceus und Fasces (gekreuzt) zwischen Handschlag, Globus und Securis. Klawans 21, 3 (stempelgleich)

I found a few that look like the Caesar coin, one says $4250 one says $9000 with the same or similar design. 

Offline Roety

Re: UnknownCoins
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 12:16:10 AM »
here is the Caesar coin , and the two I found online like it

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 12:37:24 AM »
Neither of those are ancient Roman coins.

You were bidding in the auction section titled "NACHAHMUNGEN, KOPIEN UND FÄLSCHUNGEN" which roughly means "Imitations, copies and false"

The subsection these coins were in was "PADUANER UND ANTIKISIERENDE MEDAILLEN"

PADUANER references the place these objects were made-- Padua

https://www.coinsweekly.com/en/Archive/Creator-of-the-Paduans-Giovanni-da-Cavino/8?&id=57&type=a

the Marius description even says "nach Art des Valerio Belli" which roughly means "in the style of Valerio Belli" Below is the link to Belli (1468 – 1546)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerio_Belli

The Caesar coin is likely a Cavino. Notice in the description it says "Klawans 21,3" which is a reference to the book by Zander Klawans Imitations and Inventions of Roman Coins page 21 example 3. I scanned the page and attached it.

Here is an article about Cavino
https://www.pcgs.com/news/Giovanni-Cavino-Forger-Of-Ancient-Coins-Or-Renaissance-Artist

Though not real Roman coins, some people do collect these and sometimes they can be worth some money if they are original strikes and not after casts. Yours do not look like original strikes.

Offline Roety

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 09:10:15 AM »
Victor,  I was rereading your comments  and looking at the numisbids auction and noticed that these coins were not in the "NACHAHMUNGEN, KOPIEN UND FÄLSCHUNGEN" section ,  they were in the next section (not subsection)"paduaner und antikisierende medaillen"   .
the caesar one may be a cavino  as you stated (but I'm not concluding that from the listing, just the page you posted) ,   they were in the medaillen section with two other coins. 
I did finally find a few posting of the Marius Coin  ,  they appear  to be exactly the same as mine (see photos). 
Just mentioning that from re-looking at the auction listing "They were not in the Copies section. " (see photo)
I appreciate the help, and forgive any confusion on my part, just trying to be sure. 
The detail page (image below) on the Marius does say Reproduction , but the other two images show it selling with no mention of that
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:19:21 AM by Roety »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 09:58:12 AM »
I appreciate the help, and forgive any confusion on my part, just trying to be sure. 

I'm sorry for the confusion in thinking that these were a subsection, but there is no confusion that these were in the Paduan and Antique medal (note the use of antique not ancient) section. The Caesar is definitely a Cavino and the description of the Marius even said "nach Art des Valerio Belli" which (as stated above) roughly means "in the style of Valerio Belli"