Author Topic: Constantine I SOL from Rome with captive  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I SOL from Rome with captive
« on: October 12, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »
This coin is listed in RIC, but there is no workshop listed, because it was unclear. Several examples of this coin have surfaced over the years. This example has the captive looking straight ahead, which is mentioned on the footnotes.

Constantine I
A.D. 316- 317
19x20mm    2.6gm
IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from rear.
SOLI INVICTO COMITI; Sol rad., stg. L., raising r. hand, globe in l., chlamys across l. shoulder, captive to left wearing Phrygian cap looking straight ahead.
in ex. RT
RIC VII Rome 51

Offline Gavin

Re: Constantine I SOL from Rome with captive
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 02:20:46 PM »
So I would like to post a query about this coin type you listed a while back. I thought it might be easier than starting a completely new post.

I understand it is your thinking that the adoption of the captive motif on this reverse is Constantine spiking the football after defeating Licinius in the first Civil War ca. 316. I find that suggestion attractive. Is that your own opinion, or does it come from another source?

Here is the problem with that argument. Coins with a similar reverse were struck for Maximinus II Daia at Aquileia ca. 312 - 313 A.D. (RIC VI Aquileia 142). This type is pretty rare for Maximinus II Daia, I think.

Do you think that fact problematizes the claim that Constantine used the motif in 316 as a gesture of triumph over Licinius? Or is it a common enough reverse type option (from Aurelian) that both men, or their mint workers, could call upon for different reasons at different times?

(BTW, here is an image of a Constantine issue I received this week.)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 03:43:32 PM »
I'm sure I am not the first to link the Sol captive on these Rome issues with Licinius; though I can't recall any specific works that did.

The captive theme was recycled many times on Roman coins for different events. Constantine used it in A.D. 316 when he fought Licinius and in A.D. 312, a similar type was issued from Aquileia (Rome also, but RIC does not list examples for Licinius, though I bet they exist) for Maximinus II, Licinius I and Constantine I; which must reference the defeat of Maxentius. So same type, but different enemies.

Another example of recycling imagery-- after the defeat of Maxentius, Constantine issued a series of coinage with the reverse SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI...it was also used by Trajan.

Offline Gavin

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 05:19:26 PM »
That 312 context makes better sense if that coin is struck for all three and not just Max II.

BTW, would it be better form to start a new thread for queries like this, or try to pick up a relevant older thread?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 05:26:44 PM »
No, it's alright to post on older threads if you want to...nothing wrong with reviving old posts.