Author Topic: Licinius I IOVI from Alexandria issued during civil war  (Read 787 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Licinius I IOVI from Alexandria issued during civil war
« on: June 08, 2018, 11:34:25 AM »
Someone on another board posted this coin and I pointed out the rarity of it due to the reverse legend ending in AVG versus AVGG. I was wondering if anyone knew the significance or even cared...probably more the latter. It took two days for someone to post that it was issued during the first civil war between Licinius and Constantine. In fact, we can be more specific, because it has only one G, this coin was issued right after the break with Constantine and before Licinius elevated Valens as his co-emperor.

Anyway, I always have to remind myself, that most people, even those that collect ancient coins, don't care about these details...or rather, most people are only interested in details if they own the coin.

Licinius I
A.D. 316- 317
IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS P F AVG; laureate head right.
IOVI CONSERVATORI AVG; Jupiter standing l., chlamys across l. shoulder, leaning on sceptre and holding Victory on globe in r. hand; eagle with wreath to l. on ground; left field K, right field wreath over X over B.
in ex. ALE
RIC VII Alexandria 16