Author Topic: unofficial FEL TEMP  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
unofficial FEL TEMP
« on: April 20, 2018, 01:31:11 PM »
Here's an unofficial FEL TEMP. It is interesting that the engraver has an obverse legend that looks like D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, which was used for Constantius II, but the bare headed bust looks like Constantius Gallus.

The seller wants to believe that it is an official issue though (or at least hopes that the prospective buyer does) and is asking $505.00 for it. The field mark •S• was used at several mints- Alexandria, Constantinople, Cyzicus, Nicomedia, Sirmium and Thessalonica.

Below is his description--

"Constantius Gallus. as Augustus !! 351-354 AD. Æ Follis. (18mm, 2.57g) CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG, Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right. / FEL TEMP RE-PARATIO, Soldier left, holding shield and spearing falling horseman, who raises his hand in defense; shield on ground to right. •S•/ (ALEB) ?. (mint of Alexandria). Unlisted in RIC ----. VF/F, brown patina; nice portrait. 

EXCEEDINGLY RARE !!  Constantius Gallus was never officially raised to the rank of Augustus; so this coins is either barbaric (quality of workmanship, style and lettering imply this is not the case); die engravers error; or was made in anticipation of him being elevated to Augustus."

Offline marandnumiz

Re: unofficial FEL TEMP
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 02:13:03 AM »
I would vote for the die engraver's error on an official coin. The PF AVG title cannot be intentional, otherwise Constantius Gallus would have to be laureate, which I think was universal standard at that time.

Here is a similar error on a quarter follis of Siscia minted in 305/306, with Maximinus Daia mistakenly titled PF AVG. The difference is that eventually he became augustus, unlike unfortunate Gallus.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 03:19:04 AM by marandnumiz »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: unofficial FEL TEMP
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 10:07:10 AM »
that's a neat coin. Sutherland mentions another example in the footnotes of RIC VI.