General discussion > General Discussion

New collector

<< < (2/3) > >>

Adriaan78:
Thank you all for your replies, they have been very helpful to me! My biggest thanks goes out to Valens55 how was so king to send me a copy of  Late Roman Bronze Coinage by Carson Hill and Kent. I still have to learn a lot about LRBs the but one thing I already learned is that the coin collecting community is a very friendly and encouraging one. Proud to be part of it!

Best,
Adriaan

Victor:

--- Quote from: Adriaan78 on July 16, 2017, 04:11:06 PM ---My biggest thanks goes out to Valens55

--- End quote ---

That was nice...kudos to Valens55

Adriaan78:
Dear all,

The pictures attached are of one of the first coins I bought at an online auction. It was a last minute bid. I saw the auction at the last moment and placed an offer just in time. I did not do much research and was not hampered by much knowledge. I just liked the picture, the style, quality in combination with a good size. And won the auction.
I bought the coin as:
Roman Empire - Constantine I the Great as Caesar (306-307 A.D.) bronze follis (5,60 g. 28 mm). Trier mint, 307 A.D. MARTI PATRI PROPVGNATORI S-A. PTR. Mars.
FL VAL CONSTANTINVS NOB C, laureate, cuirassed bust right.
MARTI PATRI PROPVGNATORI S-A. PTR, helmeted Mars, clad in chlamys, advancing right, carrying spear and shield, PTR in exergue. RIC VI, 730.

But when the coin arived I saw that the obverse reads IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG. That would make it a RIC VI 776 I would say. Of course I am not blaming anyone because I should have noted on forehand. However I do wonder wheter this is common practice. I bought it from a respectable seller on Catawiki (a auction site that claims that the have accurate estimates for the coins on auction)... Furthermore, is there a big difference between these coins in rarely and value?

Thank you!

Victor:
They probably copied and pasted the description from another listing and forgot to change the bits that were different, like the obverse legend. The type from Constantine as Caesar is a bit more rare than his issue as Augustus...hopefully you only paid Augustus money for it.

I have looked at the Catawiki site before and was not very impressed with it. Many of the sellers also list elsewhere, like eBay. I would not put much stock in their claim of "accurate estimates" either.

Adriaan78:
Hi Victor thank you for your reply!

If there is one thing I have learned already in collecting ancient coins is that I should stick to sellers and auctions that I trust...

One thing I am still learning is coin attribution. I still find this difficult, especially for the coins with more generic reverses and legends. The first coin attached should be Constantius I from London, RIC VI 14a. But how do you know? First there are no mintmark on it. Second. If I compare the coins with the ones I have found on Wildwinds I think it can also be RIC VI 20. Some goes for the second coins, I was told it is from Rome.. but I can't tell..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version