Author Topic: Crispus IOVI from Antioch  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Crispus IOVI from Antioch
« on: January 02, 2017, 01:51:43 AM »
This coin is the same as RIC 28, except that coin has a captive to the left; while this one has an eagle. None of the rulers for the SMANT series are listed with eagle only. The previous series, with ANT mintmark, has an eagle.

Crispus
A.D. 317- 320
17x19mm    3.2gm
DN FL IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES; laureate, draped, sceptre in left hand, mappa in right hand.
IOVI CONS-ERVATORI CAESS; Jupiter standing l., chlamys across l. shoulder, leaning on eagle tipped-sceptre and holding Victory on globe in r. hand; eagle with wreath to l. on ground; in right field ΔE.
in ex.  SMANT
RIC VII Antioch –

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Crispus IOVI from Antioch
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 01:08:25 AM »
here's another example that was listed as RIC 28. This coin is one that many would probably not initially notice has an eagle instead of the usual captive. People often see what they are expecting to see...I have done this before.

Crispus
A.D. 317- 320
20mm    3.0gm
DN FL IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES; laureate, draped, sceptre in left hand, mappa in right hand.
IOVI CONS-ERVATORI CAESS; Jupiter standing l., chlamys across l. shoulder, leaning on eagle tipped-sceptre and holding Victory on globe in r. hand; eagle with wreath to l. on ground; in right field E.
in ex.  SMANT
RIC VII Antioch –