Author Topic: altar designs on VLPP's from London  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
altar designs on VLPP's from London
« on: June 30, 2015, 11:50:56 AM »
I just got this coin with an unusual altar design. RIC VII 154 is listed with a plain altar, while this one is decorated with 4 dots (maybe 5). In the footnotes for 156, however, there is mention of two examples with 4 dots on the altar.

Constantine I
A.D. 319
17mm    2.6gm
IMP CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG; laureate helmet, cuirassed bust right.
VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP; two Victories stg., facing one another, together holding shield inscribed VOT PR on altar decorated with 4 dots.
In ex. PLN
RIC VII London 154

The London mint began striking the VLPP's in A.D. 319. At first the altars are plain, but eventually dots appear on some, like the below example. The ones with dots may have possibly been issued later in the year. The next altar type is a diamond, issued in A.D. 319- 320. Like the plain altar type, there are plain diamond types and then ones with dots added- "the design of the altar gradually becomes more elaborate" (RIC VII pg 107 footnote 157). The third altar type has a wreath and was issued in A.D. 320. Like the other altar types, this issue begins with a plain wreath, then later some have dots, stars and crosses.