Author Topic: An ethical problem  (Read 2676 times)

Offline seth

An ethical problem
« on: June 24, 2014, 08:16:39 PM »
Hello all,

This question may seem a bit strange to some but it bothered me for the last 2days. Up until this occasion I didn't have to consider this aspect, as I bought from European, American and even Australian dealers and collectors, but now I got my eyes on a coin from a seller that is located in an area known for harvesting terrorism and/or financing terrorist factions.
I would like to buy the coin but the sheer thought of the possibility that somehow my money might end up being used to finance such organizations makes my skin crawl in disgust.
I would welcome any advice on this matter, as it is of great importance for the joy I attach to this hobby. What would you do in my place?
Thank you.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: An ethical problem
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:39:43 PM »
I like to live by the adage "innocent until proven guilty." I have bought many coins from different places in the Mid-East, and even though many terrorist and their financial backers live there, they are such a small percentage of the population that the chances of you ever buying a coin that would fund terrorism are probably as good as you winning the lottery. I have visited Egypt and lived in Saudi Arabia for over a year and had mostly positive experiences with the people.

Offline seth

Re: An ethical problem
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 07:21:23 AM »
Thank you for your reply, it settled things and put them a bit in perspective.