Author Topic: Constantius II VICT DD NN AVG ET CAES and the 'revolt of Rome'  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
In September of 352, Magnentius lost control of the Rome mint. The coin below was likely struck shortly after that date. The reverse is a type started by Magnentius and is fairly common for him and his brother Decentius; but less common for Constantius II and Gallus. It seems obvious that this type, continuing the old design of Magnentius, was the first type struck in Rome for Constantius II; but RIC says that there were some FEL TEMP coins possibly struck first, on the numismatic evidence of "Balkan" titulature, types and mintmarks "which all suggest Siscian derivation.". There is however, another possibility-- "one might conjecture that this coinage represents a brief revolt in Rome in favour of Constantius." (RIC VIII pg 243)

So the exact circumstances and time that this coin was minted are not known for sure; but I like the idea of a 'revolt' after Magnentius has left Rome.

Constantius II
A.D. 352- 354
20mm  3.0gm
DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG; laurel and rosette diademed, draped and cuirassed.
VICT DD NN AVG ET CAES; two Victories holding wreath inscribed with VOT-XXX with Chi-Rho above.
In ex. R star T
RIC VIII Rome 252

Offline seth

Re: Constantius II VICT DD NN AVG ET CAES and the 'revolt of Rome'
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 06:08:59 PM »
I would say "less common" is the understatement of the month. Congratulations, great coin.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 06:20:03 PM »
I would say "less common" is the understatement of the month. Congratulations, great coin.

Yes, this is the first one I have seen in years. I was surprised that not many people bid on it...it seems I was lucky that it went largely unnoticed.

Offline seth

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »
Interesting, it comes with full Constantius II demeanor, there is no VOT/V/MVLT/X in wreath, rather VOT/XXX.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:58:52 PM »
Interesting, it comes with full Constantius II demeanor, there is no VOT/V/MVLT/X in wreath, rather VOT/XXX.

That is because it is offering vows for Constantius II's 30 year anniversary (he became a Caesar in A.D. 324), versus the VOT V type, which was for the anniversary of Magnentius.

Offline seth

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 07:08:21 PM »
Yes, yes, I know, but that points out to the fact that this wasn't just "let's replace the obv. to please the real Augustus" issue but rather a thought out variation of Magnentius's type. I actually wonder if it wasn't actually minted by Magnentius during that brief period of appeasement towards Constantius.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:27:18 PM »
I actually wonder if it wasn't actually minted by Magnentius during that brief period of appeasement towards Constantius.

No, because this type was also issued for Gallus, with VOT/V MVLT X. I am leaning towards the theory that it was minted shortly after Magnentius left the Italian penninsula, but before Constantius officially "liberated" Rome

Offline seth

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 07:41:03 PM »
I've never seen this type for Gallus. Do you happen to have any image for such a coin?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 07:44:56 PM »
I've never seen this type for Gallus. Do you happen to have any image for such a coin?

No, but it is RIC 253, with a rarity rating of r2.