Author Topic: Is Licinius really holding a mappa and sceptre in RIC VII Heraclea 15?  (Read 1569 times)

Offline tjaart

Dear all,

I recently got the following campgate:

Licinius I 317AD
Laureate, draped, cuirassed bust left with mappa, globe? and sceptre?
IMP LICI-NIVS AVG
Campgate, 7 layers, 3 turrets, no star, no door, PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG
MHT Delta
RIC VII Heraclea 17, R2

As I don't have RIC VII, I mostly use Helvetica's spreadsheets for my campgate classification. According to this and wildwinds, Licinius I is always holding all three items. Yet on my coin, I see no signs of a sceptre or a globe but something that looks like either a mappa or something reminding me a lightning bolt as shown on greek coins. So is this a new bust variety for Licinius I (at least for campgate issues) or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Tjaart

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Sometimes the mappa, depending on how it is engraved, looks differently, and if curled a bit, might resemble a lighting bolt. As far as the globe and scepter, I bet it is there, just hard to see from the dirt, or weak strike or just poorly engraved, the end of his laurel tie might have interfered with the engraving. I have attached a Licinius II that is pretty clear, but if it had a thick sand patina it might be hard to discern, especially if it was moved closer to the laurel ties. I believe on yours I can just make out the globe though and the faint line of the rest of the scepter, just ending under the tie. It certainly isn't clear, which means you can't assume it isn't there, but rather have to assume it is like all the rest and is there.

Offline tjaart

Thank you very much Victor. I had a quick brush over the coin as well and it looks like there might be a something resembling a sceptre over the left shoulder.

Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it.

Tjaart

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it.

You're welcome and you should definitely get RIC VII soon, you will be glad you got it and get a lot of use out of it.

Offline seth

Hi Tjaart, I have RIC VII on pdf, if you want I can send it to you :)