Author Topic: Constantine II BEATA holding globe instead of mappa  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine II BEATA holding globe instead of mappa
« on: December 16, 2014, 12:03:26 PM »
On the BEATA type, Constantine II is usually depicted holding a mappa in his left hand, sometimes though he seems to hold nothing. On this example, however, he is holding a globe, though it is somewhat awkwardly positioned. I can't recall noticing something like this before, but maybe I did not pay enough attention. Perhaps another example of artistic license on the part of the engraver. There are examples that have Constantine II giving the Imperial gesture, raised up in a salute, with the right hand while holding a globe in the left (except the hand is turned more palm up holding the globe a bit higher) so maybe this is what the engraver was thinking about on this coin.

Offline Genio popvli romani

Re: Constantine II BEATA holding globe instead of mappa
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:52:26 PM »
In fact, what is discribed as a mappa in RIC for B.T. from Trier mint has never been a mappa but a more or less well represented parazonium.

I guess the specimen you show can be one (misrepresented) of these too. Because of the "pellet" over the hand that could be the head of the eagle and the closed crescent which could be the beak, like the one below but shifted up.

ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine II BEATA holding globe instead of mappa
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 01:56:47 PM »
I guess the specimen you show can be one (misrepresented) of these too.

Yes, it could just be very awkwardly engraved.