Author Topic: Constantine I SOLI INVICTO from Arles  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I SOLI INVICTO from Arles
« on: October 04, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
This coin has a clear dot beside the T over star in the left field on the reverse, but there are no coins listed in RIC for this series with a dot. Possibly only an engravers error, but worth noting.

I also checked Ferrando's L’atelier monétaire d’Arles. De Constantin le Grand à Romulus Augustule, 313-476, but there was nothing like it listed.

Constantine I
A.D. 316
19mm   3.9gm
IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
SOLI INVICTO COMITI, Sol standing holding globe.
In ex. PARL,  dot T/* left, F right
Cf. RIC VII Arles 84

Offline Genio popvli romani

Re: Constantine I SOLI INVICTO from Arles
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:07:01 AM »
Nice coin.
Couldn't it be a default coming from the die, the dot seems to have a "kind of tail" below?
I think the dot was not used in field marks at this time for these type of coins in Gaul, neither in mintmark except for Trier mint.
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »
The bit under the dot looks like an encrustation, but the dot itself is clear- the second pic shows the detail better (if you look closely you can see that the dot and bit under it are two distinct features). I know that there are not any marks like this for the series in RIC, that is why I said it is possibly just an engravers error or maybe some remnant of the manufacturing process.

I have had a few coins with curious and inexplicable marks and I believe it is always worth noting them, even though I believe that they are most likely engraving errors. Here is a topic of good example I recently posted - http://www.victorsimperialcoins.com/Forum/index.php?topic=73.0

The coin below has a very clear dot, but it shouldn't as none of this series in RIC has a similar mark-- but yet it exists. Once again probably an engravers error (maybe he didn't understand what he was doing), but I believe one should always note these things. When coins like these were noted by the author of RIC, they were given footnotes.

Offline Genio popvli romani

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »
...I have had a few coins with curious and inexplicable marks and I believe it is always worth noting them,....

I believe it too. But I always have a couple of questions about why the coins are like they are. ::)
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI