Author Topic: Constantine as the "Eternal Prince"...victories and VLPP's  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine as the "Eternal Prince"...victories and VLPP's
« on: July 16, 2016, 12:03:49 PM »
The reverse legend of the VLPP types is interesting because VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP translates as "Joyous (well-earned) victory to the eternal Prince." In A.D. 306, Constantine was awarded the title "Prince of Youth" by the Senate. There was even a large series of coinage with several reverses issued over the years with the reverse legend of PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS (Prince of Youth). So the VLPP coinage is a reference to Constantine's title as "Prince of Youth"

RIC VI London 265   A.D. 312- 313

In A.D. 313, Trier issued a billon VLPP for Constantine to celebrate his victory over Maxentius.

In A.D. 318, the VLPP was issued again, though in bronze. This time, the coin was issued after Constantine defeated Licinius. Once again, the "eternal prince" was victorious.

One of the mints that issued the VLPP's in A.D. 318 was Siscia. Constantine had just won this territory from Licinius and it was the farthest Eastern mint that issued these coins and also the closest to the remaining territory of Licinius. It seems that Constantine was sending a message to Licinius. Coins were even minted for Licinius, but the bust types were very different. Constantine is always wearing a helmet (Except for a rare Arles issue), often Constantine also has a spear or spear and shield. So Constantine is always depicted as a military man, which is only befitting a conqueror. Licinius, on the other hand, is depicted as laureate, sometimes laureate and cuirassed; but never helmeted or with spear and shield. By the time the VIRTVS EXERCIT issue of A.D. 320, Licinius is depicted with a helmet, evidently enough time had passed since the 1st Civil War that Licinius was deemed more trustworthy.

Licinius I  RIC VII Siscia 103  A.D. 319- 320

The message of the VLPP coinage of A.D. 318 seems clear -- Constantine was victorious over Licinius. Despite this, Licinius was still acknowledged as being a co-ruler; but in a diminished capacity. Constantine sent a numismatic message to let all the Romans know who held the most power -- the Eternal Prince.

Offline tjaart

Great post, thanks Victor.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine as the "Eternal Prince"...victories and VLPP's
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »
I am glad you liked it...the VLLP coinage has been of particular interest to me for years and I am in the process of trying to organize all my thoughts on the series and update my webpage.