Author Topic: Seen from the rear busts  (Read 931 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Seen from the rear busts
« on: July 18, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »
Someone emailed me about how to identify seen from rear busts. I tried to make my answer as simple as I could, hoping that I did not oversimplify it. Of course, not all busts are exactly the same and the three things I pointed out might not always be so evident or even present (specifically the line on the neck). Below is my message along with an A2 bust type that I highlighted. I have also included an A4 bust, which is draped and cuirassed.

Seen from the rear busts are actually fairly easy to tell apart when you know what to look for. Take a look at the A2 bust, to the left of the bust (below the right shoulder of Constantine II, where his arm might be) there is a sharp line that slightly angles up. On a regular bust, that area is usually more rounded. The rear type usually has a somewhat triangular shape on the chest from the cloak, slightly showing a bit of the cuirass. Sometimes there is a small line representing the neck muscle. I have attached the A2 picture from my page with yellow highlighting of the three things I just wrote about.

Offline Genio popvli romani

Re: Seen from the rear busts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 02:54:20 PM »
A simple landmark is to check where is located the fibula. In almost all cases it is located more or less below the chin despite the fact the bust is to right or to left.

ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI