Author Topic: Arcadius/Theodosius/Valentinian II campgate?  (Read 3378 times)

Offline tjaart

Arcadius/Theodosius/Valentinian II campgate?
« on: August 11, 2016, 04:53:46 AM »
Hi all,

I bought the attached campgate (dealers photos) recently but cannot identify it. Based on the fact that there is a B in the left field and the overall style, I suspect it is either an Arcadius, Theodosius or Valentinian II campgate (as well as the F AVG ending on the obverse). Currently I have no size or weight as the coin is still on its way to me. The main reason I bought it was that the style on the coin is unlike any other Arcadius, Theodosius or Valentinian II campgate I have seen. It almost seems like there are actual towers on either side but I have not seen this on any other LRB from these emperors. The curve at the top almost reminds me of Magnus Maximus campgates and the side towers reminds me of another campgate I missed in an auction 2 year ago (see left coin in attached image).

I was wondering if anyone can narrow down the identification a bit more? I am leaning towards Arcadius but anything regarding mint or ruler would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Tjaart

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Arcadius/Theodosius/Valentinian II campgate?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:25:02 AM »
I would say that your coin is Theodosius I. There were four workshops in Thessalonica minting these coins- A,B, delta and gamma. Valentinian II has A, Theodosius has B and delta, and Arcadius has gamma. RIC states that these are the regular officinae for the emperors and that exceptions are rare...but there are always exceptions.

It does look like the engraver was making towers...a neat variation for your collection.

Offline tjaart

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 03:34:06 PM »
Thanks Victor, I really appreciate the input. Just to prove the exception, I also have a Chi-Rho campgate from Valentinian II with a B in left field.

I also had a quick look in acsearch but couldn't find any of these exceptions.

Thanks!
Tjaart

Offline seth

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 06:01:32 PM »
The most interesting feature on this last coin is the bust type, that's not only turned left but it's a consular bust. As these were minted 384 to 388, 387 when Valentinian II was consul as a more accurate dating for this particular coin doesn't seem too farfetched I guess.

Offline tjaart

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 01:52:53 PM »
I've never noticed that! Thanks for pointing it out, Seth. That makes it even more interesting.