Author Topic: Constantine I VICTORIA-AVGG N N reverse question  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Joshmaggosh

Constantine I VICTORIA-AVGG N N reverse question
« on: June 08, 2016, 09:26:34 PM »
Hello,

I just recieved a Constantine I VICTORIA-AVGG N N coin. Finding references was a breeze but I'm curious about the reverse type and why it was struck. From what I understand, it was only struck in Thessalonica in 319 for Constantine and his sons (but CAESS), plus Licinius I & II (but CAESS). My question is why only this one specific mint, in this one year and what victory does it refer to that both east and west were sharing in (if specific.. Or was this just a general "we're awesome" victory)?

I don't have any pictures yet, it's not in great shape but not bad. Most of the mint mark is covered in crud but the end gamma. I'll add photos asap.

Constantine I, AE Follis, 319 AD, Thessalonica CONSTAN-TINVS AVG, laureate, cuirassed bust right VICTORIA-AVGG N N, Victory advancing left, wreath upward in right hand, palm in over shoulder Mintmark: dot TS dot gamma dot RIC VII Thessalonica 59

Thanks for any information, I've been looking a bit and have yet to find any background.

Josh

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine I VICTORIA-AVGG N N reverse question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 10:03:23 PM »
The coinage of Thessalonica was different from all rest of the mints for a period after the 1st civil war between Constantine and Licinius. The reason must be because Constantine was in residence at Thessalonica for a while. The sources vary -- according to RIC as long as a year, while Barnes (Empire of Diocletian and Constantine) has a little over a month, but footnotes some other time frames. Starting in 318, there were three distinctive bronze issues issued exclusively at Thessalonica. Below are some examples for Constantine, though there are a variety of bust types. There was also a coin with a star reverse issued for Helena and Fausta.

1. VOT XX MVLT  XXX (A.D. 318- 319)   RIC VII Thessalonica 30

2. VICTORIA AVGG NN (A.D. 319)   Not in RIC for the long legend

3. VIRT EXERC (A. D. 319)  RIC VII Thessalonica 66

I have a page with an assortment of these coins, which coincidentally, since all start with "V" they are on the same page.
http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/asst3/

Offline Joshmaggosh

Re: Constantine I VICTORIA-AVGG N N reverse question
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 10:20:32 PM »
Very interesting! Thank you for the information Victor.

Maybe these three together are saying

'I'm thankful for the years I've had in charge and thanks to courage of the army, I won, which is a win for all of us... I plan to be running this empire thing for awhile!'

Ha, probably not exactly but it's a fun thought. Thanks again!

Josh