Author Topic: VRBS ROMA from Arles with 3 stars above  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
VRBS ROMA from Arles with 3 stars above
« on: April 23, 2016, 09:06:11 AM »
This coin is not listed in RIC with the star between the two stars, RIC only list the star in exergue (Arles 351); but many examples are known for this type.

The star at the top issue may have been the initial design which was quickly changed to star in the exergue because the third star at the top may have confused the meaning, because the two stars specifically represent the Dioscuri - the twins Castor and Pollux.

Failmezger and Ferrando both illustrate this coin.

The number of coins Ferrando noted also shows that the star at top, with 18 examples, had a short run versus the star in exergue with 76 examples noted.

Interestingly, this is the fourth example I have seen in the past couple of months from sellers in the UK…it seems a hoard of coins must have been recently uncovered. One example I even initially thought was likely unofficial, having completely forgotten about the Failmezger example and completely neglecting to check Ferrando.

With these last 4 and the 18 known by Ferrando (which possibly includes the Failmezger example) the total known is at least 22; which by RIC VII estimation means it is not even scarce anymore, but merely C1.

The second coin below is Arles 351

VRBS ROMA
A.D. 330- 331
17x18mm   2.6gm
Obv. VRBS-ROMA [City of Rome] Roma, helmeted, wearing imperial cloak.
Rev. She-wolf left with twins (Romulus and Remus); above, two stars with ✶between them.
In ex. SCONST
RIC VII Arles -- ; Ferrando 957

Offline Victor

• Administrator
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: VRBS ROMA from Arles with 3 stars above
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 11:23:07 AM »
another example

Offline Victor

• Administrator