Author Topic: Constantine I GLORIA EXERCITVS from Heraclea with three dots  (Read 797 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I GLORIA EXERCITVS from Heraclea with three dots
« on: April 18, 2016, 09:52:11 AM »
Constantine I
Circa A.D. 328
CONSTAN-TINVS AVG; rosette-diadem, dr., cuir. bust
GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS; Two soldiers helmeted, stg. facing one another, reversed spear in outer hands, inner hands on shields resting on the ground; between them two standards.  three dots above standard   
in exergue SMHA 

This coin is another example of an issue being dismissed by Bruun because it did not fit quite right into his arrangement and once again, another coin catalogued by Voetter.

"This coin obviously induced Voetter (NZ 1909, Atlas, Tafel 5) to regard this mark as the first of the Gloria Exercitus series. The coin, however, does not illustrate any transition from the Providentiae coinage, where Constantine already earlier had been accorded the obv. legend with MAX AVG. As it is difficult to accept this coin of the Gloria 2-standard as depicting Constantine II as Augustus, it should be classified as an inexplicable irregularity."     RIC VII pg 558

However, this obverse legend was used briefly on the GE types at several other mints like Lyons, Arles, Trier and Cyzicus.

Several examples of this coin from different workshops have surfaced. From Lech’s Not in RIC-- A   B   Γ