Author Topic: Licinii confronted bust with Jupiter reverse  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Licinii confronted bust with Jupiter reverse
« on: April 04, 2016, 01:14:05 PM »
Here is a rare type that was offered in a lot of otherwise unremarkable bronze coins. This coin was listed in RIC VII as Heraclea 50 by Bruun, but the mintmark is actually SMAT instead of SMHT. This error was addressed by Pierre Bastien in his article “Coins with a Double Effigy Issued by Licinius at Nicomedia, Cyzicus, and Antioch.” NC 13 (1973) : 87.

It is an interesting coin that shows Licinius making a renewed effort to cling to the old Tetrarchic system of belonging to the family of either Hercules or Jupiter...in the case of Licinius, Jupiter. Conversely, Constantine was moving away from the old gods and Sol had begun to disappear from his coinage. The new reverse introduced in Constantinian mints in 318- 319 was the VLPP, with victories on the reverse.

Licinius I & Licinius II
circa A.D. 318
21mm   4.5gm
DD NN IOVII LICINII INVICT AVG ET CAES; laureate and draped confronted busts, together holding trophy of arms.
I O M ET VIRTVTI DD NN AVG ET CAES; Jupiter stg. Left, chlamys across l. shoulder, leaning on scepter, in front of trophy, at foot of which two captives are seated on either side.
In ex. SMAT[A]
RIC VII Antioch --

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Licinii confronted bust with Jupiter reverse
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »
here's another confronted  bust with a different reverse.

Licinius I & Licinius II
circa A.D. 318
DD NN IOVII LICINII INVICT AVG ET CAES; laureate and draped confronted busts, together holding trophy of arms.
I O M ET VICT CONSER D D N N AVG ET CAES; Victory standing right, branch in left hand, offering wreath to Jupiter standing left, chlamys across left shoulder, holding sceptre.
In ex. SMKA
RIC VII Cyzicus 13

Offline Valentinian

Re: Licinii confronted bust with Jupiter reverse
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 10:51:36 PM »
Here is one:

22 mm. 12:00. 4.14 grams
RIC Antioch 50 'late 317-early 318"