Author Topic: Is this over-priced?  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Is this over-priced?
« on: February 05, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »
I am not sure if this is funny or sad, or both; but this is a listing on Vcoins that seems a little pricey at $4,000, but at least it is marked down from $5,000  ::)

For me, this is simply an unofficial coin (note the odd appearance like the eyes and the completely improbable ends of the tie of the diadem), but below is the description-

Unpublished & Unique Constantinople City Commemorative "Constantine Bust & Soldiers" Lyons Extremely Rare

"Constantinople City Commemorative. Lyons Mint Circa 330-337 AD. Obverse: CONSTANTINOPOLIS Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left of one of the sons of Constantine I The Great. Reverse: GLORIA EXERCITVS Two Roman soldiers holding shields and spears, flanking two standards: PLG in exergue. RIC: -, Unpublished, Unique (Early Prototype?). Size: 16mm, 2.03g. Professional Numismatic Notes: Around 330AD the mints of the Roman Empire began minting a series of coinage commemorating the founding of Constantinople, and also a series commemorating the existing capital of Rome. On these coins, typically you see a personification of Constantinople named Constantinopolis, and the reverse usually of a victory or soldiers and standards. This coin is a unique and heretofore unknown type in this series, featuring a Constantinian bust instead of the city deity. The legends are clearly that of a Constantinople commemorative. My hypothesis is that this coin may represent the earliest attempt at minting the commemorative series, but instead of utilizing a new obverse type they merely changed the legends of an existing type. This coin grades in good VF with a pleasing untouched and natural green and yellow patina. There is some patina flaws on the obverse, and a large surface scratch on the reverse. This may be the only chance you'll ever get to own this coin or a coin of this type in general!"

Offline six2ten

Re: Is this over-priced?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »

For me, this is simply an unofficial coin (note the odd appearance like the eyes and the completely improbable ends of the tie of the diadem)

I agree - I note it has a Lyons mint mark, which is one of the more commonly imitated marks too

Offline tenbobbit

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:40:34 PM »
I cant believe this is still listed, we discussed this very coin back in July Victor.
Lets see what price it is in another 6 months  ;)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 08:01:17 PM »
I cant believe this is still listed, we discussed this very coin back in July Victor.
Lets see what price it is in another 6 months  ;)

I thought that this coin had been discussed before, but it still amazes me every time that I see it.