Author Topic: Coin ID 2  (Read 2179 times)

Offline alvarof27

Coin ID 2
« on: December 29, 2015, 05:29:28 AM »
Hi again! I have a couple more coins that I need to identify, but they are out of my scope (I do not have access to RIC).
Who is the ruler they depict? Is there a RIC ID for them? The second one is shown here:

Thank you a lot!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Coin ID 2
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:15:40 AM »
This coin is Delmatius and it is from Rome. I can tell it is from Rome because the wreath is visible in the mintmark, though the workshop is not.

Dane has some great excel sheets compiled from RIC and other sources that are very useful for I.D.ing LRB's.

http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-ric.htm

Delmatius

A.D. 335-7

FL DELMA-TIVS NOB C; laureate and cuirassed bust.

GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS; Two soldiers helmeted, stg. facing one another, reversed spear in outer hands, inner hands on shields resting on the ground; between them one standard.

In ex. R wreath (?)

RIC VII Rome 385

Offline alvarof27

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »
Thank you for your answer!

Yes, I tried to use those excel sheets but since there was no indication with respect to the circle in the banner in Rome 385, I thought it was unlisted...

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »
Yes, I tried to use those excel sheets but since there was no indication with respect to the circle in the banner in Rome 385, I thought it was unlisted...

The circle on the banner is a Phalera, which was a metal disc awarded for military exploits. A circle on the banner is the standard design; what to look for is other elements on the banner that affect the the RIC number, like a Chi-Rho, X, C etc.