Author Topic: Possibly mid - late 3rd century  (Read 2032 times)

Offline tenbobbit

Possibly mid - late 3rd century
« on: November 17, 2015, 10:50:34 AM »
Hi Victor,
I apologise in advance if this coin is outside the required area for the site, just hoping you may be able to help.
From what I can tell the legends are in Latin and the Reverse resembles many 3rd century issues.
The main problem is the bust on the Obverse, it doesn't resemble anything I am familiar with especially the head piece it is wearing.
Sorry if this is inappropriate for the site, feel free to delete it if so.
I'm at a loss Victor, just hoping you can help.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Possibly mid - late 3rd century
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 12:15:36 PM »
There was a series of civic coinage issued circa A.D. 305-313 in the East by Diocletian, Galerius and Maximinus II as part of The Great Persecution of Christians. The cities that minted these coins were Antioch, Nicomedia and Alexandria. The obverse of these coins replaced the usual bust of an Emperor with a local god and the reverse usually related to a local festivity or deity. The Antioch issues depict some of the most famous statues in the city—the Tyche put up by Eutychides, the Apollo by Bryaxis of Athens, and what may be the Zeus Nikephoros in the Temple of Apollo at Daphne.

GENIO ANTIOCHENI, Tyche of Antioch seated on a rock, river-god Orontes swimming below.
APOLLONI SANCTO, Apollo standing lt., holding a patera and lyre, I in right field.
In ex. SMA
Struck in Antioch

Offline tenbobbit

Re: Possibly mid - late 3rd century
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 04:26:14 PM »
Many thanks Victor.
It would have helped if I had the Obverse the right way up  :-[