Author Topic: Interesting imitation of a solidus of Magnentius  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Genio popvli romani

Interesting imitation of a solidus of Magnentius
« on: November 07, 2015, 01:41:52 PM »
Here is an interesting imitative coin ( for which I believe to know the new owner  ;) )

It a copper alloy coin which is imitating a solidus from Trier, so the question is : Why ?
To be (have been) gold plated ? Weight would be an important data.
To be (have been) silver plated and used has a silvered copper coin ? But there is no copper coinage with this reverse.

ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Interesting imitation of a solidus of Magnentius
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 03:35:13 PM »
I just made a post about this coin and then I saw yours.  :D

I deleted my post but below is what I said about it-

The 1st coin below (with blue background) is a copy of a very rare type- VICTORIA AVG LIB ROMANOR. The mintmark TR means it was copying a Trier coin, but RIC does not even list this type in bronze from Trier, but it does have it in gold. Perhaps an official example is out there. The 2nd picture below is an example of the bronze coin from Rome.

VICTORIA AVG LIB ROMANOR; Victory, holding palm-branch over l. shoulder, stg. Right; Libertas, holding transverse scepter in l. hand, stg. L. They support between them a plain shaft carrying a trophy.

( for which I believe to know the new owner  ;) )

Yes, I got it for what I consider a bargain. I will take new pictures and include the measurements when it arrives.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 02:04:16 AM »
Good point, I did not made the possible link with the copper issue from Rome. I will have a look at Bastien's book to see if he talked about a possible copper issue at Trier mint.

Nice catch anyway.  :)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:24:27 AM »
I will have a look at Bastien's book to see if he talked about a possible copper issue at Trier mint.

Let me know if he has anything to say, I have the book, but my French is so poor it is a painful task for me to read and understand.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 02:43:59 PM »
Unfortunately, there is nothing about this kind of imitation nor the possible issue of copper coins from Trier that could have this reverse.
He just has noticed an imitation of the Rome copper issue VICTORIA AVG LIB ROMMANOR but with the other reverse (p.107, note 286bis). http://retro.seals.ch/cntmng?pid=snr-003:1962:42::33 (last plate coin #1)

Note also that he has separate the first issue of V.A.L.R. Trier solidi from the later by the occurence of the palm held by the Victory which seems not to be present on your imitation.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »
Thanks for the information