Author Topic: Magnus Maximus campgate mint id?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline tjaart

Magnus Maximus campgate mint id?
« on: October 25, 2015, 02:02:26 PM »
Hi all,

I recently bought his Magnus Maximus campgate, mostly because of the brockage/overstrike. I am struggling to nail down a mint for it.

Magnus Maximus
DN MAG MA-XIMVS PF AVG   
Pearl diadem, cuirassed bust
SPES RO-MA-NORVM?
Campgate, 2 turrets, star above, 4 layers
14mm, 1.4g

Can anyone help in identifying the mint based on the style?

And as a bonus question, I can't figure out if there is brockage or an overstrike. If anyone can take a guess I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Tjaart

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Magnus Maximus campgate mint id?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 05:17:47 PM »
The reverse of your coin is properly described as double struck, versus overstruck. An overstrike indicates a different coin type struck over an existing one, while double struck means it was struck twice with the same die, as a result of the die bouncing from the hammer strike. A brockage would have an incuse impression as a result of being struck with a coin stuck to the die.

I am not able to ID the mint based on style.

Offline tjaart

Re: Magnus Maximus campgate mint id?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 04:48:43 PM »
Thanks for the explanation on brockage vs double strike. Initially I thought it might be an overstrike but when I received the coin it appeared to be a brockage but I wasn't sure. Having looked at the coin and the photos again, I have to agree that it is a double strike.

For now I have it narrowed down to Arles or Trier based on the style. I will have to do some research on it though.

Thanks again,

Tjaart