Author Topic: Constantine as the first Crusader  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine as the first Crusader
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:08:47 PM »
A few years ago, I started thinking about Constantine as the first Crusader. Of course, he was not a Crusader according to the standard definition—there were no grants of Papal indulgences or even a goal of Jerusalem; but in certain aspects I believe that it merits some thought. Constantine even framed his battle for Rome as a religious struggle. Rome was, and is, the principal Holy See and  Constantine also fought against the pagan Maxentius.

So maybe Constantine could be viewed as a proto-Crusader…but it’s just an idea I mulled over during a seminar on Crusader history.

Offline Vincent

Re: Constantine as the first Crusader
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 09:33:21 PM »
Hi Victor, nice website and congrats on your new coin marketplace. Well laid out and user friendly. Wish I was just starting collecting now and not in my 3rd decade or so! I know you majored the period of Constantine the Great and what a fine thesis paper you wrote. I just came across an old (circa 1960) Italian produced movie with Cornel Wilde as Constantine. It is available on amazon for a few dollars and is worth watching even with its shortcomings. I, myself, feel the actor who played Maxentius stole the show and well displayed the political/personal infighting and cultural shift of the period. Epic battle of the Milivian Bridge and hot Fausta included, what more could one ask for?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine as the first Crusader
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
I know you majored the period of Constantine the Great and what a fine thesis paper you wrote.

Thank you, I am glad you liked my thesis.

I just came across an old (circa 1960) Italian produced movie with Cornel Wilde as Constantine. It is available on amazon for a few dollars and is worth watching even with its shortcomings.

A few years ago, I bought that movie from Amazon and gave it to my parents before I watched it.