Author Topic: Law impacting numismatics in Germany  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Law impacting numismatics in Germany
« on: July 23, 2015, 06:53:41 PM »
Here is a link to sign a petition against a law, that if passed, could negatively impact numismatics--

https://www.openpetition.de/petition/online/fuer-den-erhalt-des-privaten-sammelns

Offline seuk

Re: Law impacting numismatics in Germany
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 07:17:37 AM »
Signed

Offline livingwater

Re: Law impacting numismatics in Germany
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 10:25:23 AM »
I signed the petition and read the proposed law.  Among other things, it creates the need for a lot of documentation when selling and buying coins.  I assume this is to help provide provenance and track coins that may have been looted or stolen.  This is a stupid requirement for the hundreds of thousands of average grade, cheap ancient coins.   

This makes me think about my own record keeping.  I started collecting ancient coins in the mid 1980s.  I have kept most of the sales slips showing how much the coin cost and where it came from.  I don't know if this will help me sell my collection someday.  Coins from major auction sales and those that are plate coins create provenance.  I wonder how much benefit there is in keeping sales slips from Vcoins, ebay, etc.  Will potential buyers care where and when a coin was purchased years ago?  None of my coins have any provenance older than seventy-five years.  In all my years of collecting I have seen just a few coins sold having provenance older than a hundred years.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:31:42 PM by livingwater »