Author Topic: Constantius II Gloria Exercitus - Unofficial?  (Read 2487 times)

Offline seuk

Constantius II Gloria Exercitus - Unofficial?
« on: July 08, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »
Would like to know your comments on this one - I guess it's unoffical since small and low weight for a two standards type. The obverse inscription also seems different from the official ones? Engraving looks nice at least for the obverse. The reverse is more difficult to tell since in poor shape.
OBV: CONSTANTIVS IVN NOB C  (first N in Constantivs looks like an I - COISTANTIVS)
14.6 mm - 1.3 grams

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantius II Gloria Exercitus - Unofficial?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 03:55:12 PM »
Yes, I believe you are right that it is unofficial given the low weight and small size. It is hard to tell from the style, since it is a bit rough, but there are a few  things, that coupled with weight and size, seem to confirm that it is not official. On the reverse, the soldiers seem too short and the standards look a bit odd. The obverse legend is not right either, the letter forms are peculiar and the biggest problem is the IVN part, since Constantius was not a junior, only his brother Constantine II.

RIC VII lists some irregular two standard GLORIA EXERCITVS coins like this from Lyons (pg 138)

CONSTANTNIVS IVN NOB C  footnote for #238

CONSTANTIVS IVN NOB C    footnote for #240

Offline seuk

Re: Constantius II Gloria Exercitus - Unofficial?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 04:14:13 PM »
Thanks!  :)
Well that seems to settle it as a clear imitation. At first I though wildwinds had some obverses with the same inscription but the two listed turns out to be incorrect. One being a Constantinus (RIC VII 328) and the other (RIC VII 514) simply not having the IVN as descriped.