Author Topic: Arcadius/Eudoxia  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Factor

Arcadius/Eudoxia
« on: May 13, 2018, 11:32:20 PM »
Just purchased this very unusual piece, and I would like to know your opinion on it. It was sold as Eudoxia, and indeed the reverse type and portrait fit very well. The  obverse legend is however clearly says IVSPFAVG, so it cannot be Eudoxia, and judging by the traces of D (not sure though, might be O), it must be Arcadius. One mule of Arcadius obverse with Eudoxia reverse in known, RIC 82, also from Antioch as this coin, but it cannot be a regular Arcadius obverse because of hand of God and general style of the portrait which is feminine. The coin is porous, and could be a modern fake (I didn't have a chance to hold it yet), but the dealer is reputable and as far as I see his feedback has never been accused in selling fakes. So what is it? Modern fake (or tooling), imitation, engraver error, mule???

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Arcadius/Eudoxia
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:19:41 AM »
I am inclined to believe it is an unofficial issue. Mixing legends is fairly common on unofficial issues and it seems the best explanation for a coin that has what looks like a female bust with the legend of Arcadius.

Offline Factor

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 12:07:48 PM »
I am inclined to believe it is an unofficial issue. Mixing legends is fairly common on unofficial issues and it seems the best explanation for a coin that has what looks like a female bust with the legend of Arcadius.
Could explain it, but I have never seen such a fine style in unofficial issues of that period, this is better than average official of the time  ;)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:56:41 PM »
the only other explanation that seems like it might be possible is that it was an engraver's error; but this seems fairly implausible. I guess it could have happened...but it seems so unlikely. It would be nice if the coin was in better shape, which might make it easier to ascertain if it is official or unofficial. Perhaps it will look better in hand and offer some clues.