Author Topic: Anepigraphic Helena from Constantinople  (Read 6590 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Anepigraphic Helena from Constantinople
« on: May 13, 2015, 01:03:35 PM »
This coin just sold for 375 euros - http://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=1923&category=39915&lot=1675557

It is not in RIC, but is the second example that I know about. The weight is given as 1.43gm, but no size is recorded. The first known example was 12mm though. The half-follis size is unusual, so this coin may have been a special piece like a donative. I would say it was probably struck around the same time as the anepigraphic Constantine DAFNE issue (also unrecorded in RIC) circa A.D. 328. The first picture below is the coin that just sold, the second picture is the older example from 2007.

Helena
Circa A.D. 328
Circa 12mm   1.4gm
OBV: Anepigraphic; diademed and mantled bust right.
HELENA AVGVSTA; Victory seated left on a cippus, right foot on a prow; holding a cornucopia in the left arm, and right holding an olive branch; A in left field.
In ex. CONS

Offline seth

Re: Anepigraphic Helena from Constantinople
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
That's something you don't see every day.  I remember seeing the first one on FAC some years ago and wondering about the type. Of course it makes sense the pairing with Constantine's DAFNE anepigraphic. Would there be a Fausta too somewhere?
And most importantly, did you buy this one?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 03:52:35 PM »
Would there be a Fausta too somewhere?
And most importantly, did you buy this one?

There will not be a Fausta as she was killed in A.D. 326 and proclaimed damnatio memoriae and this coin was most likely issued a few years later circa A.D. 328.

I didn't bid because now that I am primarily a dealer of coins, I can't afford to get into a bidding war and pay more for a coin that I could potentially sell it for later.

Offline seth

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 04:45:06 PM »

There will not be a Fausta as she was killed in A.D. 326 and proclaimed damnatio memoriae and this coin was most likely issued a few years later circa A.D. 328.

Of course, where was I thinking.
Although come to think of it, by the low weight of this new one (can't recall the weight of the previous one on FAC or if it was actually stated) it could be that this issue wasn't necessary parallel to the DAFNE series but rather either to the vicennalia or the small commemoratives of 330, more likely the latter.
At 400EUR I wouldn't have afforded it either and the condition isn't exactly top notch, but great find!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »

Although come to think of it, by the low weight of this new one (can't recall the weight of the previous one on FAC or if it was actually stated)

It's not a low weight for a half-follis

it could be that this issue wasn't necessary parallel to the DAFNE series but rather either to the vicennalia or the small commemoratives of 330, more likely the latter.

It seems too much of a coincidence that a DAFNE anepigraphic was also issued and both coin types share a similar reverse of Victory on a cippus.

Offline seth

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 04:56:21 PM »
So you favor the possibility that this Helena was actually half the denomination of the DAFNE?
You might be right. But are there other half-follis issues known from the 320s? Besides of course the POP ROMANVS commemoratives that were another thing altogether and were minted likely in 330.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 05:51:01 PM »
But are there other half-follis issues known from the 320s? Besides of course the POP ROMANVS commemoratives that were another thing altogether and were minted likely in 330.

There are other half-folles from the RIC VII period, but they are very distinct from the Helena coin and issued for specific reasons, like the FVNDAT PACIS and GLORIA PERPET types issued from Rome in A.D. 313 to commemorate the defeat of Maxentius. There are the posthumous issues like MEMORIAE AETERNAE Divus Maximianus coinage issued A.D. 317- 318 from Rome. The Helena coin, besides being issued along with the anepigraphic Dafne, may have also been issued for her 80th birthday. We do not know her actual birthday, only that it was around A.D. 248- 250. So an issue of A.D. 328 for this coin could have fallen on her 80th...this is purely speculation on my part though and does not lessen the chances that this coin was struck along with the DAFNE issues. Another thing that convinces me this was issued around 328, is the mintmark in left field, which is like the DAFNE issue (and all Constantinople issues from 327- 328) but completely different from the POP ROMANVS coins circa A.D. 330, with the officina in the exergue. Note also the similarity of the legend, where it starts and breaks etc. So, even if not issued at exactly the same time as the DAFNE coinage, it was issued very close.

Below is a Constantine anepigraphic DAFNE

Offline seth

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 09:14:44 AM »
You are, most likely right.
I knew about the 310's fractions but I have no info on any potential 320's fractions. This is perhaps the first known issue of the times for that denomination.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 09:33:34 AM »
I have no info on any potential 320's fractions. This is perhaps the first known issue of the times for that denomination.

There are some, like the series of half-folles (and some 1/4 folles) from Trier struck for the quindecennial celebration of Constantine and issued A.D. 320- 321 with VBERTAS SAECVLI, VICTORIA LIBERAE, and VOT reverses.

Offline Genio popvli romani

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »
C-F Zschucke had listed these fractions (for Trier) in : "Die Bronze-Teilstück-Prägungen der römischen Münzstätte Trier"
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline seth

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 11:10:28 AM »
Very interesting. Apart from the Vota type of 320, I can't recall seeing none of the other types.
Thank you so much for the scans, Genio! :)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 11:36:08 AM »
Very interesting. Apart from the Vota type of 320, I can't recall seeing none of the other types.

I have examples of them on my assorted reverse types for Constantine

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/types/

Offline Nikko

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »
Thank you so much for the scans, Genio! :)

Take a look ;)
http://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum.com/index.php?topic=589.0

I would say this issue and the Dafne issue shared the same engraver.

It could also be related with the Constantine's vicennalia commemorative issues.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:08:57 PM by Nikko »

Offline seth

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 12:54:11 PM »
Wonderful! How did I miss these?

Nikko, that was also my initial thought - the connection to the vicennalia, considering the weight and module.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 01:05:27 PM »
that was also my initial thought - the connection to the vicennalia, considering the weight and module.

No, there is no connection. Constantine's vicennalia celebration started July 325 and ended in Rome in July 326. There was no bronze coinage celebrating this event in Constantinople (unless you include the anepigraphic type with reverse legend in wreath) and, furthermore, minting of bronze in the city did not even start until late in 326.