Author Topic: Constantine coins lost in transit  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine coins lost in transit
« on: May 12, 2015, 02:41:06 PM »
Below are three coins that are overdue. They were mailed over six weeks ago, but hopefully might still show up. However, if you happen to see these coins somewhere, please let me know.

Constantine I
A.D. 316
20mm   2.7gm
CONSTANTINVS P AVG; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
SOL INVIC-TO COMITI; Sol standing left in quadriga, seen from front, raising right hand, globe and whip in left; S/P across fields.
In ex. MSL
RIC VII London 82

Constantine I   
A.D. 309- 310
22mm    4.1gm
IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate, draped and cuirassed, seen from rear.
SOLI INVIC-TO COMITI; Sol radiate, advancing left, raising r. hand, whip in l.; chlamys across l. shoulder; F-T across fields.
in ex. PLG
RIC VI Lyons 312

Constantine I
A.D. 311- 312
23mm    3.6gm
CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
SPES REIPVBL; Prince riding left, r. raised, l. holding up spear, on horse pawing seated captive to left, * in right field.
in ex. PLN
RIC VI London 241

Offline livingwater

Re: Constantine coins lost in transit
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 07:46:23 AM »
Hi Victor,
Sorry your coins were lost.  Have they arrived yet?  I've had mostly good luck with mailed coins except for a few that came from Europe.  Fed Ex has always delivered but in the last year two coins have been lost when mailed from a Europe postal service then transferred to the USPS.  One was lost in Germany at the ISC and another disappeared in NY.  I got my refund for both.  Amazingly I bought a coin last Nov. from a German ebay seller.  The coin was lost in NY and I got a refund.  Then, mid March it was delivered to me.  I don't know where it was for four months but I was glad to get it.  I contacted the seller and repaid him.  Maybe the coin was held up with US Customs or it was just poor USPS service.  But I am concerned about tighter import restrictions on ancient coins and antiquities.   

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine coins lost in transit
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:14:30 AM »
Have they arrived yet? 

Hello Mark, the coins have not arrived yet, but I have not completely given up hope. I have had long delays due to customs before, so maybe they will still show up.