Author Topic: Constantine I VIRT EXERC...plan of Roman camp reverse.  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I VIRT EXERC...plan of Roman camp reverse.
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:16:27 AM »
RIC describes the reverse of this coin as Sol in the middle of a Roman camp, but I have long been in doubt of that. The problem is that Roman camps seem to always be rectangular or square. I have seen many fanciful alternate ideas of what the reverse might represent, however it  definitely has something to do with the army because of the reverse legend (VIRT EXERC) which translates to "Valor of the Army". I would also venture that it might be specific to the army in Thessalonica, as this type was only struck in that city. Constantine was also in residence in the city at the time (he stayed in Thessalonica for almost a year after his victory over Licinius), so that was probably also a reason for the special type, but it seems most definitely to be a type for the military. As to what it actually represents, we may never know. I suspect it might be a depiction of a statue or shrine that was favored by the military, set on some sort of pedestal in Thessalonica.

Constantine I
A.D. 319
18x19mm   2.9gm
CONSTAN-TINVS AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right.
VIRT EXERC [Valor of the army] Plan of Roman camp, Sol standing in the middle raising right hand, holding globe in left, chlamys across left shoulder.
In exergue dot TS dot delta dot   
RIC VII Thessalonica 66

Maybe officina A, if so it is an unlisted officina, but delta can look like an A.

Offline otlichnik

Re: Constantine I VIRT EXERC...plan of Roman camp reverse.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »
Nice example for this type.  It appears to show that the arms of the X are somehow notched or made up of a row of dots.  This is something that does not come out on more worn examples like the one I own.

I also agree with you that it is likely officina Delta.  The delta from Thessalonika and several other mints has the wide end bars on the base that make it look a bit A-like but the real A has ends going much farther down.

Shawn

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »
I just got this example with a G2 bust. The reverse is in fairly decent shape for this type.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 02:55:09 PM »
here is a fairly nice example of this type

Constantine I
A.D. 319
18mm  2.6gm
CONSTAN-TINVS AVG; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
VIRT EXERC [Valor of the army] Sol stg. in the middle of a Roman camp, raising right hand, holding globe in left, chlamys across left shoulder.
In ex. dot TS dot Γ dot   
RIC VII Thessalonica 66