Author Topic: One of my favourite types  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Alisdair

• Late Roman Bronze Coins - An attribution guide for poorly preserved coins
One of my favourite types
« on: April 29, 2015, 01:57:07 AM »
I love this type, as it exemplifies so well the changes and underlying tension of the 4th century:

I wrote a little bit of blurb on it here.

Online Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: One of my favourite types
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:47:10 AM »
This info is from another post that talked about the different FTR coins and why they were struck. This galley FTR was issued for a specific reason- it seems to be a reference to a visit Constans made to Britain in A.D. 343, so he was celebrating some sort of a victory on these coins. Whether it was an actual victory or a moral victory is not known. His brother Constantius II issued coins celebrating a dubious victory-- the two captives FTR was issued to celebrate the victory of the Roman Army under the command of Constantius II at the Battle of Singara, which occurred in A.D. 344. The Roman Empire claimed to have defeated the Sassanid Army led by Shapur II, but in reality the Persians left the battle, as Shapur II realized he was spread too thin.

For more see RIC VIII and the article by Konrad Kraft “Die Taten der Kaiser Constans und Constantius II”

Offline Alisdair

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »
Thanks Victor - you always have a little extra for me! I look forward to reading that.

Offline seth

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 02:40:37 PM »
I also like this type, especially the larger AE2 module. Here is one that I think it's interesting and scarce: http://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum.com/index.php?topic=366.msg871#msg871

Also, 2 more from the scarcer rulers for the type - Magnentius (AE2 22mm 5.20g Centenionalis RIC VIII Trier 260 Bastien 11) and Gallus (AE2 22mm 5.04g Centenionalis RIC VIII Thessalonica 175)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:50:03 PM by seth »

Offline Alisdair

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 05:52:05 AM »
...nice, Seth!

I really need to work on my photography skills - the details come out wonderfully on yours.

Offline seth

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 06:20:21 AM »
Thank you, but I'm not really skilled at photographing. If you look closely, both my pics are a bit blurred.

Offline Alisdair

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 07:59:13 AM »
Blurrred, but beautiful. Mine look as if they have leprosy, which is a pity, as they're quite nice coins!