Author Topic: Genius of the Roman people  (Read 4938 times)

Offline Genio popvli romani

Genius of the Roman people
« on: August 14, 2012, 12:15:38 PM »
Hello,

Firstly, I would like to congratulate our host for the remarkable job he has done with his website on the bronze coinage of Constantine.

To introduce myself, I would say that as far as I can remember, I've always been passionate about Antiquity. Later, having discovered numismatics, I told myself that there was no better way to contemplate history at your fingertips.
My focus is the Roman coinage in general and the Late Empire (since Diocletian) in particular. But what I like above all is the Constantinian coinage with a special attraction for unofficial strikes, they have so much to teach us about life at that time.
So I assume this forum (with another French one) is probably one of the most appropriate to share my passion.

As I live between the Lugdunum Mint and the Trier mint, it is not so hard to satisfy my passion. ;D

As I do not like to arrive empty-handed, I brought you a little welcome gift: :)

I hope you will appreciate all particularities of this singular coin.
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Genius of the Roman people
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 01:32:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your compliment on my Constantine site...though I really need to update it. I share your numismatic interests including unofficial coinage. The unofficial Roma/Constantinopolis mule you posted is a real beauty. The Maidenhatch hoard had a few similar coins and also included some Constantinopolis obverses with wolf and twins reverses. You are fortunate to live in such a numismatically and historically rich area.

Offline Genio popvli romani

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »
Thank you.
What I find very interesting with this coin is that is not really a mule, the engraver has really represented the Constantinopolis  bust but has engraved the VRBS ROMA legend.
More info: Ø14.5mm and 1.5g (theorical weight 1.7g - 1/192)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:39:52 PM by Genio popvli romani »
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »
the engraver has really represented the Constantinopolis  bust

Yes, I did not notice it at first, but the bust does have the scepter/reversed spear of Constantinopolis.