Author Topic: Campgate literature  (Read 11448 times)

Offline tjaart

Campgate literature
« on: February 09, 2015, 01:12:02 PM »
Hi everyone,

As some of you might know I am a big fan of campgates. I was wondering if anyone knows of any papers, books or articles about the subject? At the moment I only know of the Beastcoins site (http://www.beastcoins.com/Topical/Architecture/Campgate.htm), the one by Doug Smith on campgates (http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/acmcampgate.html) and this one by Tom Oberhofer (http://home.eckerd.edu/~oberhot/campgate.htm). I am looking for anything related to this as I have a faint idea of doing a proper write up of campgates (some time in the far, far future). For know I only want it for my own interests.

Thanks!

Tjaart

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Campgate literature
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 01:18:23 PM »
In Roman Bronze Coins-From Paganism to Christianity 294-364 A.D. Victor Failmezger has a bit on campgates. He also had an article "Research Leads to Reinterpretation of "Turrets" on Roman Bronze Campgate Coinage." The Celator 5 (March 1991) : 14-17.

Offline tjaart

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »
Thanks Victor. I've tried looking for the Celator paper a while ago but can't find it anywhere (back copies or scans). Do you perhaps have a copy or scan? Is the Failmezger book available as an ebook? I see the prices for his paper book is a bit high at the moment.

Thank you very much,

Tjaart

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »
Below are scans of the pages from the book. I can't find the article, but it is the same stuff.

Offline tjaart

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 04:28:41 PM »
Thanks Victor, I really appreciate it!

Tjaart

Offline sky92880

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »
 ;DHallo, Tjaart,

The book from Jules Maurice ( numismatique Constantinienne ) has some interesting listings on campgates.

sky92880 :)

Offline tjaart

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 06:30:48 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, sky. The only problem is I cannot read French. I had a look online but could not find a translation. Is there one into English?

Tjaart

Offline sky92880

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 05:09:05 AM »
 :)Hallo Tjaart,

No, i have not seen a translation, but it is not difficult to read if you are looking for text ( letters or signs ) on the reverse side. An other book is from A Alfoldi ( Il tersro di Nagyteteny hoard ).
This one is in Italien, but free to download and  i find it easy to use as well ( i do not speek Italien ).
For the moment i am working on a database in microsoft access, specialy on campgates, but it will take a few more months to make it work.

greetings form Bruges,  sky92880

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 09:30:08 AM »
The book from Jules Maurice ( numismatique Constantinienne ) has some interesting listings on campgates.

I have only had a quick glance through my set of Maurice...is there anything specifically on campgates other than listing them according to mints? RIC VII does this and is more complete since Bruun wrote RIC VII years later. He does also reference Maurice often. The Nagyteteny hoard info is also in RIC VII.

Offline sky92880

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 12:58:11 PM »
 :)That is right, but RIC refers to both works, some coins are listed in them that are not good expland in RIC. As an exampel, try to get a good overall picture of the diadem type in RIC 7 p 660, there exist more then listed. Take the other 2 works with it, you get a little more help. They are all 3  reference works, but none shows the coins on foto, and almost 100 years old.

::) sky92880

Offline tjaart

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »
Hi Sky,

A campgate database sounds interesting. Would you mind sharing what your aims are with it? I would be very interested in such a database.

Tjaart

Offline sky92880

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 02:51:47 PM »
Hoi Tjaart,

I want to organise my growing collection of campgates , but i have a different approche for some of the used parameters. For example: by Siscia mint i count the horizontal raws as everybody, and i count the blocks on the top raw. The different types of decorating i will include ( dots in top, bottem or in both raws ), the different head decorations, busts etc. I have it on paper written by hand, now i am putting it into access. I hope to finish it around april.

sky92880

Offline tjaart

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 02:57:38 PM »
That sounds great. Currently my collection is in an Excel spreadsheet based of off the list made by Helvetica. She has managed to include almost all the campgates found in RIC in a filterable .xls file. I find it very useful and it might help you. Here it is the link for the campgate list  http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/campgates.xls  and here is the link for all her RIC spreadsheet lists: http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-ric.htm

How many campgates are in your collection at the moment?

Tjaart

Offline Doug Hill

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 12:48:29 AM »
Tjaart,
I also collect and study campgates. Do you have pics of your gates, I would love to see them.
Doug Hill

Offline tjaart

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 03:14:52 AM »
Dear Doug,

I was very lazy at the beginning and never really took any photos. Now it has progressed so far that I would need to devote a large chunk of time to take photos. Hopefully one day I will have the motivation to do this. There are a couple on this forum however in die unlisted and ID sections.

Do you have photos of yours somewhere?

Tjaart