Author Topic: Constantine I - VLPP Siscia imitation  (Read 1473 times)

Offline seuk

Constantine I - VLPP Siscia imitation
« on: February 02, 2015, 08:17:45 AM »
Bought this a little while ago - I find it to be a bit different for most of the VLPP imitations I've seen until now (though I've only have 20).
The difference being the low relief and broad thick lettering which seems to be partly punched (a technique not used in Roman coin engraving but well known in Celtic) giving it an almost medieval appearance.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:19:18 AM by seuk »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine I - VLPP Siscia imitation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:10:56 PM »
I am fond of these coins myself and have a page on unofficial coinage with an emphasis on the Siscian VLPP's. Below is an example similar in style to yours.

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/barb2/

There has been some debate about whether Romans used punches for the letters. Below is a link to a page that talks a bit about this-

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/hollow_coins.html

Offline seuk

Re: Constantine I - VLPP Siscia imitation
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »
Nice one - P C and the small O looks like they could be punched, though as far I can see from the scan the other letters are typical examples of hand engraving. Its an interesting subject as there no doubt that the Romans would have known the possibility of the use of punches in die engraving, however seems in general to have preferred pure hand engraving. The Faustina coin in question does looks punched to me - especially the unbarred A and V as being the same punch. It should be fairly easy to prove by analysing a few high quality examples.

Here's another one where I've tried to colour some of the possible punches used.