Author Topic: Coins you overpaid for but you regret nothing :)  (Read 1236 times)

Offline seth

Coins you overpaid for but you regret nothing :)
« on: January 23, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »
Because the theme is quite present here these days, I would like to extend an invitation to you fellow members to show and tell your coin that you actually ended up overpaying for but once you had it in hand everything was good again :)

Here is mine:

FLORIAN AE23mm 4.35g Antoninian/Aurelian (VF)

AV: IMP C M AN FLORIANVS P AVG; Bust right, radiate, cuirassed

REV: PROVIDEN DEOR; Fides stg. r. holding standard in each hand, facing Sol stg. l., r. hand raised and holding globe in l. hand

EXE: delta

REF: LV 2933, not listed in RIC, RIC Online #4520 scarce, Serdica mint, August 276AD.

Not exactly a rare coin w/ 20specs noted in RIC Temp, but one of those coins that has an ethereal quality to it. I ended up paying 100$ for it, 25-30% more than I had intended, but I regret nothing! :)

Please show your overpriced beauties! :)

Offline seth

Claudius Gothicus from Smyrna
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »
This one is also one of those. Excellent detail, one of the better examples of this scarce series.

CLAUDIUS II GOTHICUS AE22mm 3.89g Antoninian (VF+, a small flat strike area)

AV: IMP C M AVR CLAVDIVS AVG; radiate, cuirassed bust r.

REV: MINERVA AVG; Minerva stg. r., holding spear in r. hand and shield which rests on ground in l. hand.

EXE: SPQR

REF: Alf. 1938, 27.10, RIC V-1 236var (unlisted for bust type) RIC Online #811 only 4specs recorded, rare 1st issue for Claudius at Smyrna mint, late 268 - early 269AD.

Smyrna minted very briefly under Claudius before the mint closed and the SPQR series continued at Cyzicus.

Offline seth

Re: Coins you overpaid for but you regret nothing :)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 09:32:19 AM »
A similar one but with different bust type is currently on auction at CNG

http://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=282654