Author Topic: SALVS REIPVBLICAE-- Defeat of Magnus Maximus commemorated  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
SALVS REIPVBLICAE-- Defeat of Magnus Maximus commemorated
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:04:51 AM »
Magnus Maximus was a serious threat to the stability of the Roman Empire- at least the Empire envisaged by Theodosius I. After five years, Theodosius was able to rid himself of this problem and the SALVS REIPVBLICAE (Salvation of the Republic) type was struck by Theodosius I to celebrate the defeat of the usurper Magnus Maximus. These coins were struck in all his eastern mints and  Rome, Aquileia, and Thessalonica after the death of Valentian II in A.D. 392.

Valentinian II
A.D. 388-392
13x15mm  1.0gm
DN VALENTINIANVS PF AVG- laureate, draped and cuirassed
SALVS REIPVBLICAE- Victory advancing left holding trophy over right shoulder and dragging captive                     
in ex. CONSB  in left field Chi-Rho
RIC IX Constantinople 86a

Offline Victor

• Administrator
Re: SALVS REIPVBLICAE-- Defeat of Magnus Maximus commemorated
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:02:33 PM »
On some of these coins, the Eastern mints replaced the Christogram with a dot, which might be an indication of the fierce debate surrounding Arianism. (for a bit more see-- RIC X, pg. xli)

Theodosius I
A.D. 388-392
12mm  1.06gm
DN THEODOSIVS PF AVG pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed
SALVS REI-PVBLICAE Victory advancing l., with r. hand carrying trophy on shoulder and dragging captive with left.
In ex. ALEB, in left field dot
RIC IX Alexandria 20b
Officina B is not listed in RIC for Theodosius I, but is for Arcadius.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
Re: SALVS REIPVBLICAE-- Defeat of Magnus Maximus commemorated
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:16:08 PM »
I have a thread about this coin, but figured it should be in this topic also.
http://www.victorsimperialcoins.com/Forum/index.php?topic=17.0

Valentinian II
A.D. 388-392
13mm  1.6gm
DN VALENTINIANVS PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped,cuirassed bust right, wreath from the hand of God above.
SALVS REI-PVBLICAE, Victory advancing left, holding trophy on shoulder and dragging captive behind her.Chi-Rho in left field.
In ex. CONSA
RIC IX Constantinople 86a

"This coin is unusual in that there is an object over the bust. It was described as the "hand of God" crowning type when I got it, but that does not seem likely. Maybe it is a nimbate depiction.  Some coins of Val II have a cross over the bust, maybe this was a very blundered attempt at that. Perhaps this is just some defect of the die or artifact of preservation. Whatever the case, it is an interesting coin and possibly unlisted."

This coin is also on Wildwinds- http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/valentinian_II/t.html