General discussion > General Discussion

Why this LRB Forum exists

(1/4) > >>

Victor:
On some discussion boards (mainly FORVM), I have seen many instances of people talking about Late Roman bronzes like they are lesser coins compared to Roman Republic or early Imperial etc. These people seem to think because some LRB's are cheap and/or common, none are worthwhile. These opinions are, of course, quite ignorant. I was just reminded of this when I saw this comment- "I think I'd be wasting my time offering her LRBs, she's past that before she even arrived." This was in reference to an 8 year old child who is too advanced for LRB's. The inference is that if you collect LRB's, you are not as sophisticated as a child. I don't even respond to posts like these, but I figured I would post a small rant here.

seth:
I have a few collection focuses, ancient and medieval, and I think that late roman is one of the most interesting periods to research and collect from.

Victor:

--- Quote from: seth on January 03, 2015, 08:11:20 PM --- I think that late roman is one of the most interesting periods to research and collect from.

--- End quote ---

I would have to agree as I have spent the last twenty years researching the Late Roman era, which fueled getting my master's in history with an emphasis on the Medieval period

livingwater:
I collect Biblical coins (Jewish, Holy Land,Roman Provincials of cities that St. Paul visited) and I also collect LRB.  Nothing wrong at all with collecting LRB.  I am not rich like some collectors.  I can't afford $5,000+ Greek or Roman coins.  My collection would be very small if I only bought expensive coins and on my budget expensive to me is a coin over $200.  I have a lot of fun buying coins in the $10 to $100 range. I'm sure most dealers appreciate lower end collectors like me to support our hobby. If some want to ignor LRB because they are too high brow, I feel sorry for them missing out on all that history and artistry.

Genio popvli romani:
What a pity, I have just discovered that I am less advanced than 8 5 year old child because my only real center of interest in numismatics is LRB (except a few paticular coins, no silver, no gold) from Diocletian (including aureliani from Lyon) to Julian II and everything referring to this era like books or publications. Sure, I am not insensible to other ancient and medieval coinages (principally merovingian) but none of these coinage makes me feel happy to get like LRB. I am proud to be a living proof of the adage : "beati pauperes spiritu" Not Matthew but the french locution "un imbecile heureux"  ;D

Edit : What is more serious is that this kind of talk is insulting against certainly more knowledgeable (living or not) people than individuals who utter them. I think to O. Voetter, J. Maurice, A. Alfoldi,PM. Bruun, JPC. Kent, CHV Sutherland, P. Bastien, P. Ferrando,G. depeyrot, S. Estiot, JP. Callu, V. Drost,....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version