Author Topic: Valentinian II...Hand of God?  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Valentinian II...Hand of God?
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »
Valentinian II
A.D. 388-392
13mm  1.6gm
DN VALENTINIANVS PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped,cuirassed bust right, wreath from the hand of God above.
SALVS REI-PVBLICAE, Victory advancing left, holding trophy on shoulder and dragging captive behind her. Tau-Rho in left field.
In ex. CONSA
RIC IX Constantinople 86a

This coin is unusual in that there is an object over the bust. It was described as the "hand of God" crowning type when I got it, but that does not seem likely. Maybe it is a nimbate depiction.  Some coins of Val II have a cross over the bust, maybe this was a very blundered attempt at that. Perhaps this is just some defect of the die or artifact of preservation. Whatever the case, it is an interesting coin and possibly unlisted.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Valentinian II...Hand of God?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »
Another picture...not much clearer though. This coin is listed on Wildwinds as a hand of God type, but I am not really convinced.

Offline otlichnik

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:57:38 AM »
Interesting coin.  Though the quality of engraving of even official coins could be poor in this period the legend on both sides is so uneven that I suspect that it is an imitative coin.  The off-set strike implis the same too.  I also suspect that object above the head is due simply to die damage - one of the possibilities ou noted.  All hands of God I have seen on LRBCs have a down-ward reaching fist clutching a wreath.  Likewise nimbate depictions - like on the Constantius II's GLORIA REIPVBLICAE type - appear to be circles around the head.

Shawn

Offline Valentinianvs

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 11:19:58 PM »
I dont think that is a hand of God, usually the hand come from above, not from any side, may be It was a broken die that left this particular design.