Author Topic: Eugenius  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Eugenius
« on: March 08, 2014, 02:49:30 PM »
I just picked up this coin of the usurper Eugenius.

After the death of Valentinian II in A.D. 392, there was not a ruler on the Western throne until the German general Arbogastes put Eugenius on the throne as a puppet ruler. Theodosius I did not recognize Eugenius as a legitimate co-ruler and in A.D. 394, he defeated Eugenius at the Battle of Frigidus. After Eugenius was put to death, Arbogastes killed himself.

The silver coins of Eugenius are the most common, while bronze coins are harder to find. The reverse on this one is not so clear, but Eugenius had two types with Victory advancing left- VICTORIA AVGGG and SPES ROMANORVM and these were issued from Trier, Lyons, Arles, Aquileia and Rome

Offline seth

Re: Eugenius
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 03:26:27 PM »
I also saw this lot but to me this Eugenius looks tooled so I decided not to pursue it.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Eugenius
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 12:43:31 PM »
I also saw this lot but to me this Eugenius looks tooled so I decided not to pursue it.

You are the second person that has told me it looked tooled. I am just not sure, even after looking at it through a microscope, but realize my objectivity is clouded as I would like to sell it. I have listed it as possibly tooled and priced it just a little over what I paid for it.

I suspect that the GEN of the legend has been worked on a bit and the diadem looks like it was also.