Author Topic: Roman Imperial Coinage  (Read 12256 times)

Online Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Roman Imperial Coinage
« on: March 30, 2014, 02:24:17 PM »
I just got the revised edition of volume 2 Vespasian to Domitian and now have the complete 10 volume set of Roman Imperial Coinage, consisting of 12 books. I am most happy that the set fit nicely in the space over my computer for easy access. Of course, I have barely used any volumes except 5- 10.

Offline Genio popvli romani

Re: Roman Imperial Coinage
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 02:03:09 PM »
Congratulations, Victor, to have achieved this kind of numismatic Graal. As I like books which are talking about coins as much as coins themselves, I do hope to fullfil the same shelf with Bastien's books.
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Online Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:33:39 PM »
As I like books which are talking about coins as much as coins themselves, I do hope to fullfil the same shelf with Bastien's books.

Yes, I am also working on Bastien's references. I currently have six of his books on the Lyons mint from A.D. 294- 413 including the two supplements. I don't really collect coins anymore, but it's like I collect books now.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:01:03 PM »
Only four for me at the present time from A.D.274 to 337. But there is a dilemma, I have purchased A.D. 318-337 with soft cover which is easier to use but my three other are hard cover which is more pleasant to see on a shelf. So, I will probably buy an other A.D. 318-337 with a hard cover only for having a coherent series.
I am hesitating for the next one, A.D. 367-363 or Magnence coinage or (but I will have to wait) the "buste monétaire" 3 volumes series.

Online Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 11:00:33 AM »
But there is a dilemma, I have purchased A.D. 318-337 with soft cover which is easier to use but my three other are hard cover which is more pleasant to see on a shelf.

I have the same problem...in the US it is called "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder"!  :D  As you say, the soft cover is easier to use, but does not look as nice on the bookshelf. I just bought the hardcover for 318- 337, but one of my supplements is a soft cover.

Online Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 08:29:53 PM »
I just got my two supplements to Bastien's Lyons references and to my surprise both were hardcover and I replaced my softcover 318- 337 book with a hardcover copy that used to be owned by Georges Depeyrot. I have them on my shelf beside Maurice's Numismatique Constantinienne and the colors match pretty closely.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 11:24:29 AM »
Congratulations, Victor, I am very envious of your shelf.
Maurice's Corpus is on the top of my wish-list but I have to respect priorities, Bastien first. Is it the Forni reprint?

I have another very interesting but mostly in french book for this era, "LA MONNAIE DANS L'ANTIQUITÉ TARDIVE-Trente-quatre études de 1972 à 2002" (J.P. Callu)
https://www.edipuglia.it/volume.php?id=626

Online Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 01:05:50 PM »

Maurice's Corpus is on the top of my wish-list but I have to respect priorities, Bastien first. Is it the Forni reprint?

Yes, it is the Forni reprint, I was surprised though that the plates are pretty good. Thanks for the Callu link, I have a few of his articles already.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 02:55:11 PM »
I was surprised though that the plates are pretty good.
That sounds good to my ears. I've never browsed one, but I noted this detail on the copies I've seen on the internet.
I'd like to try to find an original version, but it might be complicated. But you never know, a forgotten recess in the stockpile of an antique bookseller in the country of Maurice.... :)

Online Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 05:13:37 PM »
But you never know, a forgotten recess in the stockpile of an antique bookseller in the country of Maurice.... :)

You definitely have a much better chance of finding them than I do living in Nashville, Tennessee!

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 01:47:11 PM »
You definitely have a much better chance of finding them than I do living in Nashville, Tennessee!
You were right, Victor, but finally, nothing due to the location, I've just won them at the last kuenker e-auction. I took the opportunity to improve my library with these three volumes from the original edition, each signed by M. Jungfleisch who I believe to be Marcel Jungfleisch, a french numismatist who lived in Cairo : http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1849, Bastien Volume 15 (Constantine's death - Julian's death and Bastien Magnence's coinage 2nd edition (1983).

Online Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 02:05:47 PM »
Congrats on getting those books...I am sure that you will treasure them

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 03:55:53 PM »
Thank you Victor, I already am  !!
But I will have to build a new shelf ASAP to add 16 3/4 lb on it (~10lb for Maurice).  :o

Online Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 12:05:05 PM »
I just ordered Bastien's Le monnayage de Magnence and another book, Die Münzprägung der Kaiser Valerianus I./Gallienus/Saloninus (253/268), Regalianus (260) und Macrianus/Quietus (260/262) by Robert Göbl. I don't expect to use the Göbl reference much; but I have been looking for a copy and found a new one for sale, so I could not resist. I will have to rearrange my bookshelves a bit though.

Online Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:59:49 AM »
But I will have to build a new shelf ASAP to add 16 3/4 lb on it

I was having some shelving problems also and just had a local carpenter build me a nice bookcase that is 8ft tall and 6ft wide...I should have enough room for my books for a while.