Author Topic: What are they thinking?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
What are they thinking?
« on: June 16, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »
Often on Ebay you can see coins that sell for far more than they should; and sometimes I  wonder what the bidders are thinking. The coin below is RIC VII Trier 554 and is exceedingly common (c3 in RIC) and is in decent (but not great) condition. The current bid is £23.00, roughly $39.00. This auction seems to be two people just trying to outbid each other, but it sure is silly.

I also wonder where these people are when I am selling on Ebay!  ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Roman-Coin-Constantine-The-Great-330AD-City-Commemorative-Victory-NR-/161335679256?pt=UK_Coins_Ancient_RL&hash=item25905b1918

Offline seth

Re: What are they thinking?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 06:50:03 PM »
And then there are moments when you lose track of auctions because of other things and when you return you see the measly price for which they sold and get this sudden feel of "where the hell was I?!"
And then there are also those moments when you win an auction for a price that's 90% under your max bid. I like those moments :)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 06:56:34 PM »
And then there are also those moments when you win an auction for a price that's 90% under your max bid.

I seem to win too many that are almost at my max bid...a few even at my max.  :'(

Offline seth

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 06:48:56 AM »
That must happen to me because I also have collecting areas other than romans. And I also sometimes buy uncleaned coins on wishful thinking like the BEATA TRANQVILLITAS here: http://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum.com/index.php?topic=465.msg1322#new

Offline Nikko

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »
I seem to win too many that are almost at my max bid...a few even at my max.  :'(

i'm actually no longer bidding so you can save some moneys :D

this nice constantinopolis is a little expensive but the price is still reasonable, i think.

some auction are exciting and and beat your opponent has a price  8)