Author Topic: Constantine I CRISPVS ET CONSTANTINVS CC  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I CRISPVS ET CONSTANTINVS CC
« on: January 24, 2014, 11:06:45 AM »
This coin is currently for sale on Ebay. The problem is that this type was only noted as a silver miliarense (see RIC VII Sirmium 14). Perhaps this was a special presentation piece, but this does not seem likely as it is not only similar to the silver issue, it is identical- except for being bronze and larger. The patina seems authentic, but that is easy enough to fake, plus with a corroded coin, it is easier to hide that it is not genuine.

Constantine I
Circa A.D. 320
25mm   6.8gm
CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG; Bare head right.
CRISPVS ET CONSTANTINVS CC; Confronted busts of Crispus and Constantine II.
In ex. SIRM
RIC VII Sirmium --

Offline Nikko

Re: Constantine I CRISPVS ET CONSTANTINVS CC
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 12:39:15 PM »
It could be what someone calls "pattern" or trial strike.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:01:24 PM »
It could be what someone calls "pattern" or trial strike.

Except this one is 3mm larger (and 2.5gms heavier) than the heavy miliarense which are around 22mm. Trial pieces were struck with the same dies, while this bronze was struck with a die a bit bigger than the regular silver issue. Below is an example of RIC VII Sirmium 14. Both examples have a border almost at the very edge of the flan, so the size difference represents an actual difference in the size of the dies.

Offline seth

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 03:54:08 PM »
RIC notes the weights for the silver miliarense of 321 from 3.41 to 5.20g so there is a lot of room for fluctuation apparently.
A fourree multiple? The coin shows a lot of corrosion and wear which might have stripped the plating away.
A so called "medallion" to commemorate the dynasty, as 321 was also a consular year?

Also the obv legend seems to be longer than just CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG, it looks like it might have been smth else between CONSTANTINVS and MAX.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:55:56 PM by seth »

Offline Nikko

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »
RIC notes the weights for the silver miliarense of 321 from 3.41 to 5.20g so there is a lot of room for fluctuation apparently.
A fourree multiple? The coin shows a lot of corrosion and wear which might have stripped the plating away.
A so called "medallion" to commemorate the dynasty, as 321 was also a consular year?

Also the obv legend seems to be longer than just CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG, it looks like it might have been smth else between CONSTANTINVS and MAX.

Your're right. Also, there is a lettere (maybe an I) between CONSTAN and T.

Victor, can you link the auction?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 05:29:12 PM »

Your're right. Also, there is a lettere (maybe an I) between CONSTAN and T.

Victor, can you link the auction?

There is a wide difference in weights and some believe there are light and heavy miliarense, like two issues. This one is quite a bit heavier, but weight for this is not so important, as it is made from the wrong metal.

The link is
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201023092872?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Offline seth

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 06:04:04 PM »
I am also watching this auction and I am tempted to bid.
Victor is right, it's the wrong metal and there are no signs of plating. But it's also impossible for it to be a "follis" as the seller claims, as by 320 these were 18/19mm and around 3g and larger heavier bronze denominations are not known/recorded.
Like I said earlier, if real, I think it's more likely some sort of commemorative medallion.

Offline Nikko

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 06:59:19 PM »
The obverse legend looks CONSTANTINT MAX MAX AVG and the style of the letters is really iregular.
Also, the green "patina" looks painted.

Well, i don't like this coin.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:22:20 PM by Nikko »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 04:31:25 PM »
It ended at $117.55...it seems most people didn't like it either.

Offline seth

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 05:45:58 AM »
After a long struggle reason prevailed over wishful thinking and I decided not to bid on it.