Author Topic: Unlisted AE2 of Constans  (Read 1330 times)

Offline seth

Unlisted AE2 of Constans
« on: December 12, 2013, 03:07:32 PM »
Got it in a cheap lot:

It is a silvered AE2 25mm silvered Maiorina.

OBV: DN CONSTA  - NS PF AVG; pearl diademed, draped cuirassed bust r. holding globe in r. hand.
REV: FEL TEMP – REPARATIO; standing facing left on galley, holding Victory in his right hand and labarum in his left, Victory at helm;
EXE: TSΓ Thessalonika mint.
REF: RIC VIII – unrecorded type for mintmark TS_ only TS_* , should be between Thesalonika 111 and 112 or after 113, 348-350AD.
I think it is a very rare interesting issue of the second group first series.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Unlisted AE2 of Constans
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 12:57:43 AM »
There is something that looks like a star after the O of REPARATIO, I wonder if the engraver did not have enough room right after TSΓ, so moved it over a bit. This would be unusual, but not unheard of, it might even have been the result of misunderstanding where the star should be properly located.

Offline seth

Re: Unlisted AE2 of Constans
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 05:33:11 AM »
I am more inclined to think that that something at the back of the galley is more likely the steering device, like the one seen on this other Maiorina, that was set there because otherwise it would have collided with the legend ending. Also under magnification it doesn't look like any other stars I've seen on these issues, but rather like a blundered #

RIC VIII is very incomplete on these anyway - for instance this other one is also unlisted for the bust type. To be RIC 113, bust should have been G3 instead of D3.