Author Topic: Constantine II, BEATA scarce minor (?) variation.  (Read 1299 times)

Offline seth

Constantine II, BEATA scarce minor (?) variation.
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »
Hello,

This coin looks like a typical mediocre condition AE3 follis 18mm ~3g. It came from the UK as an uncleaned. Description is:

OBV: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C; laureate, cuirassed, bust holding victory on globe in right hand and mappa(?)/scepter resting in left hand which he is holding in front of his chest.
REV: BEATA TRAN *** QVILLITAS; altar with globe above, inscribed with VOT/IS/XX
EXE:(S)TR• Trier mint (just the upper parts of T and R are visible, but the dot is clear on the rev. between 5 and 6 o'clock)
REF: RIC VII Trier 353var R5 323AD.

At a first glance, the variation consists of the altar legend break VOT/IS instead of VO/TIS, but at a second look, there's also something about this bust - doesn't it look more like I2 rather than I1 (noted in RIC)?

Lech Stępniewski notes about this issue: “BUST TYPES I1 and I2. Both busts (probably identical, see footnote 1 on p. 90) are described as "laur., dr. [...]", but in some cases this description should be changed to "laur., wearing trabea [...]", "laur., dr., cuir. [...]" or even to "laur., cuir. [...]". See examples of TRIER 312, officina S, TRIER 353, officina P, TRIER 353, officina S and TRIER 383, officina S. Note that it is sometimes hard to distinguish elaborate cuirass from embroidered and decorated toga picta.
Note also that some of these busts could belong to a military type and than, according to Claude Brenot, object in l. hand is neither a mappa nor a sceptre, but a small dagger called pugio (see Bikić-Do Hoard, p. 17-19). See example of TICINUM 121.” (cf. http://www.forumancientcoins.com/notinric/cv7.html pp. 89-90)

At the same time, Victor Clark, in his adjunct bust type gallery (http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/bust2/), shows what I have been also noticing about these bust types: that they are different.

I would like to see some opinions about this issue.
Thank you.

Offline Genio popvli romani

Re: Constantine II, BEATA scarce minor (?) variation.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »
Funny, we just have this discussion on a french forum: http://www.nummus-bibleii.com/t5670p5-le-o
For RIC.353 there are clearly two type of bust. One which is laureate, draped (fibula and paludamentum visible on left shoulder and left arm) and cuirassed with pugio.

The other is more difficult to describe cuirassed or wearing trabea and holding something in left hand which I can't define but seems to have a spherical end.
You can check the link below  to compare a few of these busts. Note that in both cases, there is a cloth on left arm (paludamentum ?). Note also that RMBT describe these busts as laureate and cuirassed 36L or laureate, draped and cuirassed 37L
http://www.nummus-bible-database.com/rechercher-une-monnaie.htm?page=1&personnages=&ateliers=23&collections=&vendeurs=&motscles=&numric=354&numnbd=&legendes=&nombreResultats=50&btRechercher=Rechercher
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline seth

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »
Very revealing comments, Genio popvli romani, thank you.
As the regular recorded Trier 353 has 2types of busts, I think it's fair to assume that this minor variation VOT/IS might also have both types of bust. Mine, pictured here looks (although worn) more like 2nd type, the so-called "37L."
Thank you also for the links.

Offline Genio popvli romani

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:03:31 AM »
Concerning the vows on altar, if I have not misread RMBT, 312 is always VOT/IS, 382 is always VO/TIS and 353 is known with both inscriptions. But I believe VOT/IS is much rarer for 353.
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline seth

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »
With what is visible from the mostly off-flan mintmark, I think 353 is the only recorded option, as 312 is dotless.