Author Topic: Constantine I BEATA from London....radiate, trabeate bust r. with sceptre  (Read 439 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
a new addition to my London trays--

Constantine I. AD 307/310-337. Æ Follis (20mm, 3.48 g, 7h). BEATA TRANQVILLITAS Second Issue. Londinium (London) mint. Struck late AD 320-321. Radiate bust right, wearing trabea/mantle, holding eagle-tipped scepter in right hand / Globe on altar inscribed VOT/IS/ XX in three lines; three stars above; P|A//PLON. RIC VII –; C&T Supp. No. 1 9.04.007.5 (this coin cited and illustrated). Dark green patina, smoothing. VF. This is the only known example of C5 (w) right-facing for London.

From the Paul DiMarzio Collection. Agora 63 (20 December 2016), lot 273.

Nummi of recoinage in the West struck at 96 pieces to the Roman pound for a theoretical weight of 3.36 g, initially using smaller dies with a beaded circle 17-18 mm in diameter.

Offline Nikko

Congrats.
It is also reported by Lech with the original photos.
It has a nice light green patina! … and a clearly trabeate bust!!! The presence of the cuirass or the trabea is offer disputable for this BEATA series.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

Congratulations Victor!

I will probably change the pictures. The new one seems to be more sharp. So the green one will be save only in my archive.

I agree that bust is undoubtedly trabeate. So maybe some radiate-consular busts are in fact cuirassed? Or maybe this whole mess is because  it wasn't really important and every engraver could propose his own vision. Only eagle-tipped sceptre was required.

Offline Nikko

Well, I can’t image a consular bust with eagle-tipped scepter AND cuirass. I think the correct match is always with the trabea, according to a consular wearing.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 09:11:38 AM by Nikko »

Offline Lech Stępniewski

Well, I can’t image a consular bust with eagle-tipped scepter AND cuirass.

Well, why not imagine special, elaborate cuirass which emphasize the military abilities of the new consul?

This discussion probably will never end unless someone will make a description with alternative: Emperor in trabea or cuirass, eagle-tipped sceptre in r. hand etc. It would be my choice for the new RIC VII. There are so many specimens for which clear description of bust is virtually impossible.

BTW what about 9.03.001, 9.03.002, 9.03.004 or 9.03.005 in Cloke-Toone? They are all marked B2(w), which means laureate (=B), cuirassed (=2) AND with eagle-tipped sceptre (=w).

Offline six2ten

It would be my choice for the new RIC VII.

Does this mean that you know of plans for a revised volume VII Lech?

Offline Lech Stępniewski

It would be my choice for the new RIC VII.

Does this mean that you know of plans for a revised volume VII Lech?

Absolutely no. It was just my imagination of the new RIC :)

Offline six2ten

:) thanks Lech