Author Topic: Unlisted Rome Falling Horseman?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline six2ten

Unlisted Rome Falling Horseman?
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:01:47 PM »
I can't seem to find this coin listed in RIC, so would appreciate a fresh pair of eyes as to whether I am missing something obvious, or whether it is unlisted. Based on weight (2.97 g) and diameter (18 mm) the coin would seem to fall in the series of Fel Temp Falling Horseman listed as numbers 272 through 284 (17-19 mm and 2.45 g). The mintmark is pretty clear: R dot Q, but this mark is not included in this series (or indeed at all for Rome in RIC VIII).

Any help appreciated!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Unlisted Rome Falling Horseman?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 12:13:51 AM »
It's not listed, but R dot P was used a few times at Rome for different issues (see #79, 184, 189, 225).

On many coins I have seen stray dots that I believe were used by the engraver, much like a centering dot; but yours does seem more purposeful, except if it was intended to be part of the mintmark, I would expect a fatter dot (second picture below is #184 to show the size of dot)- but have seen small dots before. I have attached a picture of RIC 272 from Wildwinds that looks like it may have a dot also, but it is not very clear.

So, I am not sure on your coin. I would call it a (possible) variation, but with the possibility of the dot just being some remnant of the engraving process or a product of the minting process.

I just recently added a picture of a campgate with a dot that shouldn't be there-
http://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum.com/index.php?topic=317.msg715;topicseen#msg715

Offline six2ten

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 02:27:15 AM »
Thanks Victor - agree that the dot should really be more prominent if intended to be part of the mark, but I also note that the gap between the two letters seems wider than would be expected if no intervening symbol was to be included. So perhaps have to wait and see if more turn up - some of the marks in this series are quite scarce by the looks of it, so a new one may be a reasonable assumption!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 11:38:50 AM »
but I also note that the gap between the two letters seems wider than would be expected if no intervening symbol was to be included.

Yes, there is a large gap; but this happens fairly frequently at the Rome mint. I have included a few pictures that show some other examples with empty space between letters. The first one is close to yours in the space, while the next two have less.

Offline six2ten

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »
Thanks again Victor - will leave it in the variant / uncertain category!