Coin talk > Late Roman Bronze coins

VIRTVS EXERCIT with "Chi-Rho" in field

(1/7) > >>

Victor:
This is one a bit rough, but it has what many call a Chi-Rho on the reverse in the left field. This should probably be called an Iota-Chi, rather than a Chi-Rho, since it looks very little like the Greek Rho and more like an Iota combined with a Chi. On some examples there is a bit of roundness to the top of the Iota, but not enough to call the symbol a Rho. The second picture is another example that has more detail.

Constantine I
A.D. 320
18mm   2.4gm
CONSTANTINVS AVG; Helmeted, cuirassed
VIRTVS-EXERCIT; Standard inscribed VOT/XX with captive seated on ground on either side. Stylized Chi-Rho in left field.
In ex. AQP
RIC VII Aquileia 58

Victor:
I recently got an example for Licinius I from Thessalonica and the symbol in the left field looks more like a stylized star. Each of the six ends is rounded a bit, with the top perhaps more pronounced.

Licinius I
A.D. 320
18mm     3.2gm
IMP LI-CINIVS AVG; Helmeted and cuirassed bust right.
VIRTVS-EXERCIT; [Valor of the army] Standard inscribed VOT/XX with captive seated on ground on either side, in left field Chi-Rho.
in ex. dot TS dot A dot
RIC VII Thessalonica 82

Nikko:
Of course it isn't a chi-rho but possibly the monogram chi-iota.

Genio popvli romani:
But would the Iota-Chi meaning be appropriate to Licinius?

Victor:

--- Quote from: Genio popvli romani on April 04, 2014, 04:13:16 PM ---But would the Iota-Chi meaning be appropriate to Licinius?

--- End quote ---

Not in a Christian sense, but if it is an Iota-Chi (which I doubt, I think it is most likely a star) it might be used for some other reason than religious, like the Chi-Rho used on 3rd century B.C. bronzes of Ptolemy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version